"How Will You Score on the Final Exam?"

(Friday, May 7, 2010)
Last Sunday our family celebrated the birthdays of Andrew (5) and Austin (4). What a great day! You can see from the picture with the grandkids that Grandpa enjoyed the day. Megan and Avery (6 months) will both give me a smile when asked. I ask a lot.

IMG_6993


Tuesday night’s trip to my Bible study was a special time. I would estimate that more than 50 men made it to the dinner that night. I was grateful for the opportunity to tell them how much they mean to me.

"How Will You Score on the Final Exam?"

Emily is our middle child. Some children are “willfully defiant” but Emily was born “willingly compliant.” She has always been an obedient child, seeking to please, wanting to serve. As you might suppose, Emily has always been an excellent student. We tease that even her blood type is A Plus (A positive).

In high school Emily took a preparatory course for the SAT. Unfortunately, she was unable to make it to the first session which included a preliminary test which would be used to measure the student’s progress during the course. While the other students took the test on Tuesday night, Emily took a make-up test on Saturday.

Later that night Emily received a call from the examiner with bad news. She had scored very poorly on the exam. “Emily, it’s OK, some people don’t test well. We’re here to help you.” The only credit she received was for getting her name correct. Even a caveman would have done better. College did not appear to be in Emily’s future.

While originally upset by the call, Emily didn’t believe she had done “that bad.” After thinking about it, she called the examiner. “By any chance, did you use the same answer key to grade my test that you used to grade the Tuesday night test?” Needless to say the examiner was very apologetic when her error was revealed.

When you have a serious illness and spend a month in a cancer center, you tend to think about big issues. My “nasty little diseases” have given me time to contemplate different “worldviews.” The Scottish pastor, Alistair Begg, spoke of worldviews as answering these important questions, “Who am I?”, “Where did I come from?,” “Why am I here?,” “Where am I going?”

My worldview is a biblically based Christian worldview. I have many friends who I respect and admire who have other worldviews. When it is all said and done, what measure, template, or answer key will be used to evaluate someone’s worldview?

One worldview is universalism. All roads lead to the same place. Everyone will be fine at the end. All religions are true. Wouldn’t this be wonderful? But common sense causes us to question such a worldview? One does not have to be an expert in world religions to know that they cannot all be true since they have diametrically opposed views on significant issues. An honest inquiry reveals that some worldviews are mutually exclusive. (This of course does not prevent me from respecting someone else’s view even though I may not agree with it.)

Another worldview is simply to compare ourselves to others. If the scale tilts in our favor, then we pass the test. “I may not be perfect but at least I am better than …” But will that be sufficient for a passing grade – is that the proper measure?

Are we, the created beings, allowed to decide the criterion that will be used by the Creator? (That seems a little presumptuous, doesn’t it? ) That’s one reason why the Bible is my measure. It provides a clear authority, an unchanging standard to evaluate my life. I know that at this point in my life, my faith provides a peace, a rest, an assurance, a comfort. While I would never have chosen the journey of the last several months, my faith has only been strengthened as He has proven Himself faithful through the journey.

I am grateful that my “final exam” is not dependent upon me. As a Christian, my security is grounded in the work that Jesus did on the cross. He graciously offers His gift to everyone and I accepted.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, that no one should boast. (NASB)

Thankfully, Emily’s experience of being told that she was “not college material” didn’t permanently impact her. She graduated 4 years later from Florida State summa cum laude. Just last week Emily completed her course work for her Ph.D. and after she takes her comprehensive exams this summer (provided they use the proper answer key) she will begin working on her dissertation.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Teacher, Bob Bugg-
Having a feeling of finding your updated blog this morning, YOU continue to teach us! Thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts of your own 'journey' & Emily's trial &accomplishments,too. God is good ALL the time!
It's WONDERful to see in the joyful picture the health & growth in ALL!!!
Philippians 4:13 comes to mind!
Two sentences from your blog today, seem to also express how God is working:
1-"While I would have never chosen the journey of the last several months, my faith has only been strengthened as He has proven Himself faithful through the journey".
2- "My security is grounded in the work Jesus did on the cross -graciously offering His gift to everyone who accepts."
PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW~~~
In Christ's love & continued prayer, (Isaiah 40:31 26:3,4)
Ruthie & Dave Q.
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
Thanks for sharing a wonderful message again this week. We feel as if we are back in Bible study time with you. So many good truths to challenge our hearts!!
Go Emily!!! We look forward with you and Emily toward the day she is Emily, Ph.D.
See you very soon. Keep those photos coming.
We love you and continue to pray and praise.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Thanks Bob, again, for the update and the wonderful picture! What a blessing to be surrounded by those precious children! They will definitely lift your spirits.

Again, you teach us some good lessons. I continually struggle with who I am as a person, especially when dealing with certain situations at work. I have been praying hard that I can find peace and that God is in control; not the events surrounding me. I am praying for understanding of why I am there or should I be somewhere else?
Ted & I did have the day off and went to the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota; it is what I needed; the flowers were absolutely georgeous and I never knew there were so many varieties of orchids. God does good work! I took 100+ pictures and a few really turned out well! Every little "detail" of God's works is amazing and I continue to tell myself I am wonderfully made as well. The "world" gets in our way and I am trying to focus on where I should be. You helped bring that to my attention today and thank you for that. Congrats to Emily as well; I know I couldn't do all of what she is doing. Just continue to heal your body; your soul is okay!
Take care
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
I loved seeing Patra and the 4 grandones on FB, and thought to myself, "Wonder how Bob felt seeing her with the 4 of them?" WELL, here you are and you look as good and happy with the grandones as Patra did! They are a beautiful batch of Buggs (no matter their last names). We are grateful you are well enough to participate in all the festivities of recent days!!
Janice & Bob Adams