"God Willing"

(Friday May 28, 2010) “God Willing”

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." (James 4:13-15 NIV)

When I wrote in my blog note last week that I planned on attending church Sunday, I should have prefaced my comment with “God willing …” I was again dehydrated on Saturday so it was back to Moffitt for more fluids. It turned into another long day at Moffitt and I didn’t feel well enough Sunday morning to go to church. We were concerned because I required fluids on both Thursday and Saturday last week, but this week I have not had any further problems with dehydration. “God willing,” I am hoping to make it to church this week.

You have faithfully kept Patra and me in your prayers and we would again appreciate your prayers as we meet with my primary physician next Thursday, June 3. We anticipate (“God willing”) that the results of the recent tests will enable the doctor to answer our questions about the success of the bone marrow transplant and to provide us a prognosis and future treatment regimen. There is some anxiety because of the recent problems with fluid retention and dehydration.

Many verses have helped to ease my anxiety, including:
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7 NASB)

“casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7 NASB)

We moved our walks to the AIR-CONDITIONED mall. It now seems like summer in Clearwater. Temperatures are in the upper 80s (even low 90s) with high humidity. When you walk out the door, it feels like you have entered a sauna. We were afraid the outside walks might be contributing to my dehydration.

I have read a number of articles lately written by or about cancer survivors. Many of them have referenced a “bargain” they made with God. “God, if you will let me survive this, then I will …” Let me be very clear. I am not at all critical of anyone for trying to “strike a deal” under these circumstances. My thoughts this week have often begun with “God, if the report next week is good and these “nasty little diseases” are in remission …” But I haven’t been able to complete the covenant. I can’t get past the fact that He has already done so much – how can I ask for any more? His grace is more than I can comprehend. He gave His only Son. Great is His faithfulness. He has promised He will never leave me nor forsake me. He is always good. His mercies are new every morning.

I am left only to pray that His will be done. So my desire is not conditioned upon what He will do. My desire is because of what He has already done. When I was in the hospital and on a day that I was admittedly “under the influence” of medication, I remember telling Patra and one of our nurses that I knew what I wanted to do when I was out of the hospital. I wanted to be an “ambassador.” My mind was “foggy” and I couldn’t really express myself well but I had been contemplating what Paul had told the Corinthians.

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. (2 Corinthians 5:20 NIV)

Regardless of what the future holds, my desire is to be an ambassador. I want to be a husband – father – grandfather/ambassador, a mediator/ambassador, a neighbor/ambassador, a friend/ambassador.

Next Friday, I’ll give you a report on our doctor’s visit – “God willing.”

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: God willing - yes, that is what we all should be saying daily. We are praying daily for you as you continue your journey that God has chosen for you. We continue to pray for strength, healing and no dehydration. You are an ambassador; you have always been to us. Your strength in the Lord is such an example and we are encouraged by your courage; you have the full armor of God and your testimony continues to bless us each week as we look forward to your sharing your thoughts with us.
Take care, my brother & sister in Christ; you are doing His work! I may be visiting with my Dad on Sunday so if we are not there, we are there in spirit!

Ted & Carol
Anonymous said…
When I spoke with Patra this afternoon, I had not read this blog. When we were discussing plans, I said "God Willing, we will". She had a little laugh in her voic when she agreed with me. Now, I see the reason for the little laugh. Bob, you discussed that very thing in the blog. Isn't that something?
We do appreciate your sharing your heart with us. We do PRAY earnestly much for you and Patra. We want so much to hear that your report is a good, encouraging one. God Willing, it will be just that.
We continue to pray and praise.
Love you both.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra, 5/30/2010
We appreciate your thoughts and Biblical teachings of God's will in this blog, Bob. Thanks~~~~
You both brought joy to our hearts this morning as we saw you sitting in church. Dave commented happily, "Let's go down and say, 'Hi' to Bob".
It was WONDERful that you felt strong enough to join us during Sunday School, closing in prayer, too! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow~~~It is amazing, Bob, as to how you keep on acknowledging during all kinds of circumstances that "God is good all the time".

As we continue to pray for renewed strength & health, trusting that His will be done~~~~
In Christ's love,
Ruthie & Dave Q. Isaiah 40:31
Anonymous said…
So sorry we missed you yesterday. Ted & I are both a little "under the weather" so we just rested at home; went out long enough to catch some supper at a nearby local joint.

My sinuses are driving me crazy so it was best we weren't there in case it is a cold instead of just "sinus".

We continue to pray daily for you and your strength. I know what you are going thru and sometimes waiting for our bodies to heal gets a little frustrating; we are always in a hurry; but it is in God's time, not ours. Bless you and your family; I know this time for closeness and we do look at life a little differently after such an experience.

You continue to be a blessing to all of us in your Sunday School class and we all thank God for you and Patra and your continued testimony and uplifting messages.

Take care!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Happy Memorial Day Bob - hope you enjoy a great day today!

Here's one of my favorite verses: (maybe it can be your verse for the week) "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Strength, the God in whom I trust." Psm 91:1,2

Will be waiting to read your post after dr. visit.

Love to you and Patra,
Linda (Word) Hyde