"Weighty Matters"

Thursday, April 8, 2010
“Weighty Matters”


Life’s unexpected surprises. Yesterday (Wednesday) Patra and I spent the day at Moffitt. I had an episode of severe chest pain (GERD – Gastro-Esophogeal Reflux Disease) Tuesday night and Wednesday morning my nausea returned with a vengence. “Danica Patra” quickly (very quickly) drove us to Tampa and I was immediately placed in a bed and treatment was started. When we first arrived, it was thought we would need to spend the night at Moffitt. I am grateful that the treatments were very effective and we were able to leave the hospital about 5:30. Unfortunately, I had another GERD episode Wednesday night but thankfully the nausea has not returned. It is the nausea and resulting rapid loss of fluid that causes me significant problems.

There was good news. My blood work came back with improved numbers from last week. White blood cells, potassium, platelets were all significantly better.

I told Patra in December that 2010 was one year where the doctors had guaranteed I would succeed with two of my New Year’s resolutions – I would lose weight and I would work less this year. (Be careful what you resolve or wish for!) Because of the problem retaining fluid, the edema (swelling) had actually resulted in a significant weight gain. I believe my highest weight during my hospitalization was 230 pounds. When I was released from the hospital on March 24, my weight was 215. That became a significant number because some medication is to be taken only if my weight exceeds 215. Yesterday, I weighed in at187! For those of us who are math challenged, that means I have lost 28 pounds in 14 days – an average loss of 2 pounds per day. Jenny Craig, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers and NutriSystems – eat your hearts out.

Most of that weight loss comes from eliminating the fluid retention. I still have edema but it is much better than it was. The doctor commented yesterday that I actually have ankles and knees.

Several nights ago I had a discussion with God about the lessons He is teaching me. I told Him that I thought I had learned everything I needed to know about nausea. I was pleading my case as best I could. I mentioned to Patra the next day that my definite impression was that He would not promise me that I would not have any further problems with nausea. However, it was very clear that I should rest in the truth that He would be with me every step of the way. While I did not enjoy Wednesday morning and will continue to pray that the nausea will stop completely, there was again that indescribable peace in knowing that He is with me and that He cares.

A lighter Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
To the LIGHTER Bob we want to say YEAH that the fluids are disappearing; however, we don't want you to have to add weights to your shoes; so don't lose too much. Otherwise, the first hurricane----you are gone!!
Seriously, we will continue to pray about the nausea situation. Maybe we have all been dwelling on the fluid retention and not giving as much prayer time to the nausea situation.
Thanks for your good updates. It does our hearts good to hear from you.
We continue to pray and praise.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob: Maybe I should use your numbers in my weight loss program that starts next week at work. I agree with Lex and Linda; don't lose too much! We definitely will be praying about the nausea concerns, it is a terrible feeling for sure. Let's get the two things balanced. Yeah, for Danica Patra, she is turning pro! Maybe we will put her in the Grand Prix next year!! I would root for her. We will pray the GERD situation will resolve itself as well. I had never had that in my life before my chemo and thank goodness, after a while, it went away and haven't had it since. We continue to pray for your entire family and yes, we are at peace knowing God is in control.
Take care my friend!


Ted & Carol W