"Strength and Weakness"

(Monday, April 5, 2010)
“Strength and Weakness”


One of the songs I have listened to often for the past couple of months is “Come to Jesus,” by Point of Grace. Early on, it says that the song is for the “weary and the weak.” That would include me. I am very weary and very weak.

I was weak even before my hospitalization. I was weak even before my diagnosis. In fact, I was weak even before these “nasty little diseases” invaded my world.

Early in this process I became concerned about my weakness. A couple of cancer survivors who I deeply respect delivered a very similar message. “Bob, you are about to enter the battle of your life and the only way you will survive is if you fight like you have never fought before. Don’t ever give up. You beat this with everything you have. Don’t fight fair, but you fight every single day.”

The problem wasn’t that I didn’t understand what they were saying. I did. The problem wasn’t that intellectually I didn’t agree with their premise. I did. The problem wasn’t that I didn’t want to win this fight. I do.

The problem was that that wasn’t me. I mean seriously, for those of you that know me, how many of you think of me in a mixed martial arts context? Or as Rocky Balboa? “And in the red corner, out of Clearwater, Florida, formerly a mediator …”

The problem was that I knew that if it was me fighting the battle, I would lose.

Fortunately, I knew this battle wasn’t dependent upon me and my strength.

2 Cor 1209


As I lay in the hospital, there were so many times that this verse came to me. Usually it was during a particularly difficult time. Instead of mixed martial arts, it was more like tag team wrestling. The “nasty little diseases” were getting to me and I would just reach over and tag my “partner” – the Creator of the universe, all powerful, all knowing. In my mind, after I’d tag Him, I’d just roll over to my corner to rest. His power was perfected in my weakness. Can you imagine how bad an outcome if I had decided to fight in my own strength? So like the verse says, I will boast in my weakness, so that the power of Christ will dwell in me.

By the way, in my mind, whenever He entered the battle, the “nasties” called “time out.” That was sufficient for me. It allowed me to get back in the game. So we haven’t seen yet what will ultimately happen. But we know Who holds the future and He is always good.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: Thanks again for your honesty and willingness to share the deep thoughts of your process on this journey that is unfamiliar. We, as Christians, have the "luxury" of having Christ on our side and in our thoughts which brings peace within our soul & it does make a difference. I know so many times during my process, I had joined a support group and one of the exercises was to close your eyes, think of a quiet lovely place that we really enjoyed and concentrate on every aspect of that place. Well, Jesus is our place and he can be the comfort and the strength will come in His time. Rest when you need to rest, don't try and rush the process.

Take care!

Ted & Carol
Anonymous said…
Bob,
You have the BEST MANAGER in your corner. Since HE is doing HIS work in yo, you just let him do that work as you gain your strength to add your punches.
I remember watching boxing on TV with my daddy when I was quite young. It amazed me that those men could take such hard punches and get back up again. Their managers would talk into their ears, and they then would start punching again.
We continue to pray and praise.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob, that passage in II Corinthians is special to me, too. I'm glad that our God is for us and when we are weak, He is strong. Our sufficiency is in Him. We are complete in Him. He is our rock and our deliverer. He is our strength and protector.

I appreciate your faith and witness. It's in the rough times when the light of Jesus in us can shine most brightly to those around us(II Corinthians 4:6,7). Thank you for letting your light shine. We love you.
Tom and Margie
Anonymous said…
Our prayers continue for renewed strength --- and that His will be done. Let's keep trusting Him through it all, as we continue to lean on His Holy Word.
As I would think of you in the hospital, I would pray that God would comfort you with His Words. Thanks for sharing your thoughts insights, Bob. Psalms 34,37 come to mind..
Praise Him from Whom all blessings flow~~~even when we don't understand...
We hope you get some good, peaceful rest & healing, Bob and Patra.
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie (and Dave, too)
Anonymous said…
Just thought I would let you know that you are not alone as many people are going thru what you are now..today at LRCC one of the nurses came to me needing help to order labs on a patient who will be comming in every two weeks for labs..after I figured out what to order she drew his blood from his port and then they came in to the lab..It seems he has Multiple Myeloma and just had a bone marrow transplant and was released from the transitional housing at Moffitt on FRi...what a small world ...As I follow this man's journey every two weeks, I will be thinking and praying for you too..
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Bob, I think it's good for all of us to remember we are in a battle. And for a couple of days I felt like I was fighting alone. But, this morning, God was so evident to me that I "got the message". It's hard not to try to fight the battle ourselves. Aren't we taught that by our culture? Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and such. Anyway, your blog and everyone who writes with you has been such a big blessing in my life. Thank you for sharing what you might have chosen to be a very private time. All to the glory of our Lord and Savior.
We praise him.
Mary
Anonymous said…
Hi there, You have done a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
I'm confident they'll be benefited from this web site.


My web blog ... gatorade free flow tour finals