"My Friends Lift Me Up"

(Monday, April 12, 2010)
“My Friends Lift Me Up”


We knew there would be days like today. Today has not been a good day. I feel kind of puny. I have very little strength and just want to sleep. Eating has been difficult. Food I normally like doesn’t taste good. The worst part is that I know it scares Patra. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

I have tried to keep track of some of the great statements people have unintentionally made to me during this journey. One of my favorites came just before I stopped working. An attorney friend who would not see me until after the procedure wanted to give me an encouraging word. Finally he said, “Bob, after the bone marrow transplant, you will be a new man… You will still be a man, right.”

Although I think he was joking, just in case, I assured him that a bone marrow transplant was not the same as a sex change operation. It is interesting however how much of a change it can make. We were told that for those transplant patients who receive their new stem cells from a donor, they may have a different blood type after the transplant.

While I was in the hospital, I would often think of the gospel story where 4 friends bring a paralyzed man to Jesus. When I started feeling good enough, I would read the story in each of the gospels where it is related to us. Matthew, Mark and Luke all report this particular story. Jesus was teaching a crowd which included many of the day’s religious leaders. Because of the crowd, the paralyzed man's friends were unable to get him to Jesus; so they went on the roof and lowered their friend down to Jesus. (My lawyer friends will spend way too much time here wondering who paid for the damage to the roof.)

Jesus forgives the man’s sins, which infuriates the religious leaders. “Who is this who forgives sins?” Jesus knows exactly what they are thinking and says “Which is easier to say, your sins are forgiven or get up and walk?” In order to prove that Jesus did in fact have the authority or power to forgive sins, He then says to the man, “Get up and walk.” He does and everyone is amazed.

There are so many lessons and truths from this story. But the encouraging lesson for me has been to think about how this man’s friends brought him to Jesus when he was unable to do it on his own. There have been so many times, especially days like today, when I am grateful to have friends lifting me up in prayer.

Thanks for being that type of friend.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dave and I continue to lift you up in prayer... I especially pray right now that His love and peace will surround you & Patra. I Peter 5:7 comes to mind at the moment:"Casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you."
Psalm 31:24 "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Q.
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We hope that tomorrow will be a much better day for you.
If your friend were in your place, you would hold him/her up in prayer just as we are holding you up to our God and asking Him to do His work in you and restore you to full health.
Our prayers are that you will feel his strength and know his love and absorb HIM completely.
We continue to pray and praise.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Phil 4:19 My God shall supply your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus.
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: We took pray for continued strength as your body heals from this traumatic experience. We pray that your appetite returns; at least drink the Boost, etc. You will need your vitamins and minerals and your body needs the nutrients. Eat whatever you want (within limits of your sodium restrictions) drink shakes, eat smaller meals more frequently. Your body is making adjustments but you still need your nutrition. We still feel blessed to follow your blog and pray your progress increases dramatically. God is still in the miracle business as we know He has His loving arms around you!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
We appreciate the newsy stories and the pictures. Thanks for keeping us posted. It encourages us to pray and to keep you at the top of the list.
It appears things are going well and you are on schedule on your trip back to good health. God is good. We are looking forward to getting our teacher back. God bless!!