"It is a Good Friday"

(Friday, April 2, 2010)
“It is Good Friday”


I had mentioned earlier this week that I knew this Easter would be especially meaningful. I had no idea how prophetic I would be. The last 48 hours have been a whirlwind of activity and emotion.

Believe it or not, when you read this, Patra and I will be home. Our home, Clearwater, mi casa. I am composing this at the apartment as Patra packs our van.

This came about suddenly and unexpectedly to us. Yesterday afternoon we had blood work drawn and then a meeting with my primary doctor. When she mentioned that she would like for us to be able to have Easter at home, I thought it was an April fool’s joke. (Yesterday was April 1.) But my doctor is not the joking kind of lady and Patra and I looked at each other wondering if we were hearing correctly.

Please understand that we each had mixed emotions. While you want to get home more than anything in the world, there is also some fear that comes with leaving the security of the cancer center. We have known that if any problems developed, we were very close to help and assistance. We are not released from Moffitt’s care but the doctor felt that we would be able to commute from Clearwater at this point for further treatment. So next week we have an appointment and we will make the drive across the causeway. I am confident that by that time we will both be very thankful for being able to sleep in our own bed.

There were some real issues that had to be resolved. I needed to have my line/catheter removed before we would be allowed to leave. Unfortunately, my platelet count was very low yesterday and the numbers would not permit me to have the procedure. The doctor said she would order a transfusion of platelets which I could do Thursday night and then Friday morning they would recheck my platelets. So about 5:00 p.m. last night I started a transfusion of platelets and we left Moffitt about 7:00 p.m. last night.

As I was receiving my transfusion, I was in a cubicle next to a young man who was also receiving a transfusion. Emotions were running high everywhere. He was not cheerful and it certainly caused us to understand that things may not work out for our release today. He had been doing very well for a couple of weeks and had made arrangements with his doctors to go home for the Easter weekend. Unfortunately, his lab work yesterday was not good and as he was being transfused, he was also calling his family to let them know he would not be coming home. Every case here is specific and I have no idea what the details of his situation are. But I feel for him and I think I understand somewhat his frustration and disappointment.

I could not sleep last night. I had so many questions, so many emotions, so many thoughts, so many praises.

My blood work was done first thing this morning and my platelets were great.

The procedure to remove the line was done about 11:00 a.m. I must be very careful over the next couple of days not to do anything that might cause bleeding where the line was inserted. Honestly, from lack of sleep, emotions and the procedure itself, I don’t feel like doing much anyway.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers. During the night last night, I thought about the blog and I hope over the next couple of weeks to share with you some of the lessons that I think I have learned throughout the past couple of months.

From Clearwater,

Bob

Comments

Unknown said…
So glad that you guys are finally home. Hope that you and mom get some sleep tonight. Love you both. Adam
Anonymous said…
Special Easter Blessings on you in your home. "There's no place like home" Maybe Patra clicked her "heels" three times!! I know this is very special for you & I pray that your night's sleep in your own bed will take you to heavenly dreams!! Pictures of your grandchildren going thru your mind. We think about you constantly and we are so glad you created this blog. We have learned so much from you and we are the ones that are blessed.
Take care and "sweet dreams"!!
Ted & Carol W
Jenny said…
Yahoo, you're home! We're so grateful. This will, indeed, be a special Easter on so many levels. Can't wait to make the drive... the much, much shorter drive... to come visit!
Anonymous said…
We are so happy that you are home at last in your own bed. Praise our GOD who is still working.
We wish you a blessed EASTER. Be careful to follow the doctors strict orders.
Enjoy life there in CLEARWATER.
We love you both.
Praying and Praising,
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Spring and even Easter gives us evidence of new life....
praising God today for your new life.
Tomorrow will indeed be a very special Easter.
I am so very happy for this blessing.