"When the Heat Comes"

(Wednesday, March 3, 2010)

"When the Heat Comes"


Update from Emily:

I just got off the phone with my mom. She asked me if I would mind updating the blog. "Of course not!" I replied. "Is there anything in particular that you would like for me to share?" We were both silent for awhile. It has been a long two days in the life of our family. Yesterday afternoon we received word that our neighbor of 23 years, Mr. Port had passed away.

Earlier this week, I went to visit Mr. Port and his wife, Jay. I knocked lightly and the hospice nurse opened the door.

"Hi." I said. "Is Grandma Jay at home?" I asked while standing on the front porch holding my three-year-old's hand.

The nurse got a huge grin on her face. "Oh, you must be family!"

"Well, actually," I replied, "we are really neighbors and have been for 23 years..." and then I stopped. "Actually, yes, can you tell Grandma Jay that her family is here." Little did I imagine that my short time with Port this week would be my last. Please pray for this extension of our family this week as they grieve.

My mom also received word this morning that her Aunt Marcelle, another beloved family member, passed away in her sleep last night. I know that Mom longs to go to South Carolina during this time to be with her family, but we also know that she is needed exactly where she is - right by my dad's side.

Dad is at his low point. We are hoping that this will be the lowest of the low. While reading Jeremiah this morning, I was reminded of both Mom and Dad.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 NIV
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

When the heat comes... We have definitely had a season of intense heat this past year. I am honored to watch both my mom and dad as they stand under this time of difficulty. In my opinion, they continue to bear much fruit! Yesterday, Dad was feeling well enough to walk the corridor of his hospital wing. As we walked, I noticed the demeanor change on several nurses' faces. "Mr. Bugg," they would say with wide grins. "So good to see you today!"

I met one nurse for the first time. "We love your parents." She said. "They are really great people." Fruit. Bearing fruit even in the midst of heat. Hopefully reflecting Christ in the midst of very difficult situations.

Please continue to pray for both Mom and Dad as they try to reflect Christ to all they meet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, we will continue to pray for your dear parents in "reflecting Christ to all they meet." Thanks for sharing the words from Jeremiah.
You dear daughters are so thoughtful in sharing. God's blessings to you all and let's continue to trust and cast all our cares on Him (I Peter 5:7).

Our condolences to you all on the passing of Mr. Port and Aunt Marcelle.
Our prayers continue - the hymn "Moment by Moment" (taken from Psalm 32:8) caught my eye at the piano last night...with the words:
"Never a weakness that He doth not feel,
Never a sickness that He cannot heal,
Moment by moment, in woe or in weal(well-being),
Jesus my Savior abides in me still".
Praise Him!
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Quarles
Anonymous said…
Emily, you write so well and I can see that YOU are also reflecting Christ in your family. We will continue praying... Here's a special verse I love from Ps.91 - "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."

Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Oh, sweet Emily, we are praying; we will keep on keeping on with those prayers.
God is hearing them, and HE is with us. Your parents are feeling his presence in a very real way.
Thanks much for the update.
It helps us to know how to pray even more specifically. He will never leave us nor forsake us, isn't that a precious promise from our Lord?
We love you all.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Yes Emily; the sweet spirit of the family is there and you are one of the branches that your parents so richly nourished. Their gentle spirit will touch others, no doubt in my mind. They all at the hospital are being blessed in so many ways by all of your family. God is using them in a very special way. So sorry for the losses in your family. We are continuing to pray for the inner peace for all of you and the strength & courage to get thru this whole ordeal.
God bless you all!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Absolutely Emily, we are praying fervently and expectantly for your family. This journey has become our journey. We so love your parents and are encouraged by them.
melody said…
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Rom 15:4)

It encourages me to watch the Scriptures encourage you and give you hope. What a gift He's given us. Can't imagine life without it.
Anonymous said…
Still keeping you ALL in the prayer chain here at Skycrest and at home.
Lee & Nancy Stratton
Marilyn King<> said…
Not only Bob, but I am keeping the entire family covered in prayer during this incredible difficult period. God Bless You.