"Vital Signs"

Update from Bob

Saturday March 27, 2010 “Vital Signs”

After 30 days in the hospital, I look terrible. It is amazing how much atrophy took place in my body. It is also amazing how many mirrors the apartment has in the bathroom so that there is no way for me to miss the changes I have undergone.

DSCN3337


As my doctor explained, my body has been through a lot over the past month, and now I need to relax, rest, and slowly build back my strength and endurance. There will be time later to consider issues like the effectiveness of the transplant and the status of those “nasty little diseases.”

Approximately 6 times a day, every day for 30 days, (including midnight and 4:00 a.m.,) a nurse or technician would enter my room to take my “vital signs”. It became a dance – especially the middle of the night checks. Without any verbal communication, as they entered the room, I would raise my left arm about 6 inches off the bed so they could attach the blood pressure cup and then about 30 seconds later, I would open my mouth like a guppy so they could insert the thermometer under my tongue. After a few seconds the thermometer would beep and my mouth would fall open so the nurse could remove the thermometer. I’d raise my arm 6 inches and off comes the blood pressure cuff. In short order, I knew my blood pressure and pulse, and whether I had a fever. Many times they would also draw blood (always at the 4:00 a.m. time), so that the lab could complete the analysis and have the information ready for the doctor’s rounds in the morning.

From the moment of my diagnosis, I have wanted to be sure that I do not “waste my cancer.” I firmly believe that there are lessons God wants to teach me through this process and I don’t want to miss any of those lessons. Checking “vital signs” may be one of those important lessons.

They didn’t just take my vital signs on Day 1 and say, "everything is good so no reason to continue checking." No, everyday they checked vital signs, and then they reacted to the present status. Sometimes, they would add a medication, sometimes they would stop a medication. Blood work usually resulted in a transfusion of red blood cells or platelets. Constantly, the information from my “vital signs” was used to make important decisions about my health care.

I need to continue to check my “vital signs” every day with respect to my faith, my family, my friends.

I believe there are some people who years ago had a real spiritual experience and at the time their spiritual “vital signs” were good. And they have relied upon those old tests. It could be that if they took their “vital signs” (spiritually) today, they would need to make some adjustments.

Since we were released from the hospital, I have gone back to waking up about 2:00 a.m. and staying awake for a couple of hours. I am not upset by this, it has been a wonderfully fulfilling time of prayer, meditation and listening to my ipod. For the past 2 nights, I have tried hard to analyze and measure my relationships with God, my family and my friends. When I am stronger and healthier, there are some things I need to do, especially with respect to my friends. This experience has been blessed by the response of friends – I have told Patra that it is difficult to read emails or comments without becoming emotional – my friends have responded in such encouraging and thoughtful ways. Thank you! I want to be a better friend in the future.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Teacher,
You are amazing!!! I had wondered what you were actually thinking in your mind, as you had to endure all that you have gone through. And now you end with, "I want to be a better friend..."
Just be THANKFUL and praise Him for getting us all this far along in life!
Philippians 4:8,9 comes to my mind at this moment:
8"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report;if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, & heard, & seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you."..and read on the rest of chapter 4, especially verses 10-14, 18-19, 23
Dave hasn't seen your courageous blog today... I'm sending this off to you now.... I pray that God continues to bless you, your dear family and friends richly as we trust God through faith that His will be done in our lives.
In Christ's love,
Ruthie Quarles
Anonymous said…
Bob, it is good to hear from you again today. We do value yours and Patra's friendship so much and consider you both very special in our lives. We are proud to call you friend.
Whether you realize it or not, you have been a real encouragement to us all along the way, but espcially since you have begun this difficult journey.
We are sure that our God has heard from us more often because of you. We look forward to the time that you are fully healed and back out doing what you love doing---teaching all of us face to face.
Be sure that you keep the stethoscope away from Patra as well as the thermometer, needles, and blood pressure cuff. You do need your REST!!!!!!!!
We continue to pray and praise.
Love to you Buggs,
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Bob, Your body may be coming back slowly, but your mind is sharp...
cutting almost like a two edged sword. Thanks for the lessons learned and shared. You may need to continue after this with a daily devo blog.
Anonymous said…
We count it a privilege to "friend you from afar"! When God knits hearts together it's for eternity. I keep thinking how wonderful it was for us to "run into you" at Countryside Mall back in September. None of us knowing what lay ahead, God allowed that encounter so that we had a "fresh fleshly" picture of the two of your in our minds for these days!
We continue to pray for bodily renewal day by day.
Janice & Bob Adams