Rocks in the Jordan

From Jenny:
(Warning.. I didn’t really follow my dad’s instruction to try to keep it light today. Perhaps, Dad, this post will serve as a challenge for you to get well enough to take back your blog before we get REALLY sappy on you!)

You should see my notes from church this week. The pastor was preaching a great sermon on heaven, but my scribblings say things like “Rocks in the Jordan!!!” and “Need picture of Dad’s bald head!!!”

What in the world, right?

Two summers ago, I did a Bible study called “Believing God” by Beth Moore. And in it, we studied the story of the Israelite people crossing the Jordan River in the book of Joshua.

It's another miracle like the parting of the Red Sea. The Jordan River stops in it's tracks while the Israelites walk across it's dry river bed safely to the other shore. And before they move on with their journey, God gives them very clear instructions.

Joshua is to choose twelve men to walk back to where the priests are still standing on dry ground and gather stones from the floor of the middle of the river.

And this is the part that gets me every time. Seriously, I cannot read this passage out loud without getting choked up.

Joshua tells them each to take a stone, “to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.” (Joshua 4:6-7)

These people didn’t have diaries or scrapbooking albums, digital cameras or blogs
to record the amazing things God was doing in their lives. But they sure had something compelling. Rocks from the middle of a river that dried up right in front of them so they could cross safely! Evidence that God had been there and once again delivered His people through an otherwise insurmountable obstacle. Stones their children and grandchildren and generations beyond could look at, touch, and ask about so they, too, could hear the stories of God’s faithfulness to His people.

I think the imagery is so powerful and emotional to me because I all too often forget some of the amazing and miraculous things God has done in my life. I need to document His faithfulness so my kids will know what He has done for me!

So, with each post on the blog, each picture that documents a stage of this fight, each verse of Scripture, we are scooping up stones from the river bed.

The most recent picture of my dad feels (to me) like a rock from the smack dab middle of the river.

DSCN3233

Looking behind him, he’s made it a long way. Looking ahead, there’s a long way to go.

And, at the conclusion of this “story”, I know his heart will be to pick up these figurative stones and show them to his children and grandchildren.

“This is when we started out.”

DSCN3034

“This is when it got really hard.”

“These are the people who became our ‘bridge’ of support.”

“This is how God saw us through.”

When they ask what we believe about our God, this will be a part of our family’s story of faith.

Beth Moore puts it this way in “Believing God” :

“You and I are living stones. We are living reminders to the world that Jesus was here.”


So, Andrew… Austin… Avery… Megan – let these thoughts and pictures and comments be a reminder to you that Jesus was here. He has been our source of comfort and hope throughout your Grandpa’s hardest moments.

And since He never ever changes, He will always be that God for you, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My eyes filled with tears as I read the post today as my heart swelled with pride for having the blessing of reading your words today. Your family continues to be an inspiration to us all and the miracles that have occurred so far during this journey continue to amaze me. The memories we carry in our hearts for all the loved ones we have journeyed with all during our lives are the "stones" we can share. Being a Christian is a unique blessing that the "world" cannot understand; yet it is so simple to accept Christ & believe. We continue your journey with you and your family is a blessing to all of us for sure.
God Bless!!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing your heart with us,Jenny. What a picture of God's faithfulness in the lives of HIS children.
We continue to pray for Bob's healing and the strength for all of you as you take this journey. Our patience grows thin often; however, we do know that God's timing is exactly right. Our understanding is clouded right now; we don't have to understand; we just have to believe.
So, we are believing today that God is doing HIS work.
We love you.
Lex and Linda
Your last 2 paragraphs did me in. Oh, the cleansing tears born of hearing Truth! What a heritage of Christ...we are living stones. I completely forgot about that but I won't ever again.
Oh, how awesome is our God? How confident we can be that our times are in His hands...that the unknown moments where He has sometimes places our feet in a spacious place...but we are never alone. I never forgot one pastor who said, "Never mistake God's inactivity for absence." I remember this in the midst of a hard and low point knowing God is still at work, carrying out His perfect will and plan and He is more than trustworthy. I have said this over and over but in all this I just see a powerful living testimony of who God is. Mr. Bugg, you are a living stone, right here, right now. Even for me. Your influence on my life affects the heritage my husband and I are working to establish. Again, how great is our God?
Mimi said…
Jesus was here in the beginning of this journey...and He will be here at the end of this journey...and many times there is only one set of footprints during the journey itself...
God has your dad in His arms, and we praise Him for that...
praying
Carol and Joe
Anonymous said…
Bob, we're writing you from the CBS men's bible study and are about to begin the wrap up. Your latest picture is up on the screen.

Tonight we are studying the destruction of Jerusalem and the second coming of the Lord. This is probably your favorite passage in Luke!!

Keep eating steak!!
Anonymous said…
So glad to see your picture....think of all the $$ you're saving on shampoo and haircuts! I think those "nasty little diseases" didnt know who they were dealing with when they picked on a tough cookie like you.
Keep that strength up -- little by little you walk a long way. Sending love and belated BD wishes Patra. Thanks too to Jenny and Emily for keeping us all updated.
Sending my love and prayers, Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you for reminding us of God's faithfulness to us always. We can remind ourselves and our children that God is in control and He is always on time. He said for us to be anxious for nothing and there are times when that is not easy. God is good. We are praying for you,Bob,and for Patra. We love you all, Tom and Margie.
Anonymous said…
What a precious post today! Thank you for another reminder of God's faithfulness. Your dad must be so proud of you and how you are walking through this. We continue to pray for all of you.
Love,
Linda Hyde
Karen said…
Jenny,

Beautiful ... and so perfect! God is doing amazing things that He wants you to share with His people for a long time ... stones of rememberance of a faithful and loving God!! I have rock jars at my house and in my office that contain rocks that have words and names and dates scribbled on them ... my own memorials to how God has worked in my life. Sounds like a rock jar needs to be added to the Bugg house ... and my prayer is that it soon overflows with remembrances of God's blessing and provision on this journey! Praying for you guys tonight! Thanks for sharing this journey with us and for giving us the privilege of being changed by what God is doing in your lives!
Anonymous said…
Oh you made me cry. I am sitting here in tears now. Please do something with this amazing gift for writing that God has given you, Jenny. I love you,
Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
Jenny,

This brought back such fond memories of that study we shared and how God is always at work in our lives. Your family is such an inspiration of faith as you share the intimate details of your journey this way. Praying for your dad and believing that God has a mighty plan for you all. Stay strong my sister.

Love,
Kim