"Looking Forward to Going Up"

(Tuesday, March 2, 2010)

Update from Emily:

I just wanted to post a quick update for those who follow dad's journey on a daily basis.

I am at the hospital right now with dad and he is sound asleep. We are grateful for the rest. As his numbers continue to drop (due to the chemo from last week) Dad grows a little more sick everyday. His numbers are now at 1 (I think that refers to his white blood cell count, but please don't quote me on that)... but need to get down to 0 before they start going back up. I heard a quote yesterday that reminded me of this process.

In her series called "Stepping Up," Beth Moore uses the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120- 134) to describe an individual's pilgrimage in growing closer to God. In her introduction to the study, she states...

"In God's economy, one must go down in order to go up."

As I listened yesterday, I immediately thought of Dad's journey of cancer so far. One must go down in order to go up. We pray for a full recovery for dad. We pray that he will be back at work soon. We pray that he will be watching his grandsons at t-ball games before the season is over! Up... Up... and Up. Right now, however, dad is going down. We covet your prayers this week in particular as Dad continues to fight these diseases.

Comments

Mimi said…
I like the name you settled on..."A Cheerful Heart is Good Medicine"
Bob's cheerfulness is medicine for all of us as we pray for your entire family through this hurdle in your lives...
Anonymous said…
NOTE FOR PATRA - I didn't know if I should use this space for this but didn't have another email for you --- as I was mentioning Bob for prayer in Sunday School, another lady said that her cousin is at Moffitt! Her name is Brittany Hollis and she is 25 - I think they are Chrisitans but her family is really struggling and some may not know the Lord. Maybe you can include her in your prayers and if possible "look her up" while you are there. They might be encouraged (as I hope you are) if you tell her that our church in Dothan, AL is praying for their family.

Special hugs to you and Bob,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful lesson you taught today in your post, Emily. The analogy is so true, and I pray for your dad that soon he will be "going up".
Carol Mathews
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Emily, for your update. We continue to pray much and be in a prayerful attitude constantly for your Dad and Mom. They are very special people to us.
We are praying that the edema subsides completely and that the numbers go up quickly.
We are praying for Bob to be back at work, watching his grandchildren along with grandma, and doing all the things he loves doing.
We also are praying for him to be back with us in S Morining Bible Study teaching as he has been doing for a long while now.
Love to you all,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
The hymn "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" came to my mind...with the verse beneath the title: Isaiah 41:13
"For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Praying that His love and peace will surround you all as we rest in Him.
In past experiences with my Mom and Dad in hospitals, reading the Bible and singing hymns(when appropriate) seemed to bring comfort to our souls.
Trusting that His will be done...we'll pray specifically for the white blood cell count...
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie and Dave Q.
Kim S. said…
Am praying for your dad every day this week Emily!
Anonymous said…
Our hearts continue to be with your family as this journey continues to unfold. Yes, bless the rest for he needs it now. I was told to "listen to my body" & rest when I needed to rest. I was at "0" at one time and now I am an 11 year survivor, so I know what you & your family are feeling. But God has your hand and has made us amazingly.
Go, fight, win!! (this is the theme that Makenzie used!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
We must go down,before we come up or look up. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Thanks for your dedication in keeping us posted.
Love and prayers. Odette
God is still in the healing business.
Mimi said…
our prayers are with you as you watch him go down...in order to celebrate with him as his numbers go back up!!!
He is such an inspiration to all of us...
Love,
The Nelsons (Carol and Joe)