"He Still Makes Me Laugh"

Saturday, March 13, 2010
from Patra

"He still makes me laugh"


When we started this journey Bob wrote on this blog that we could always find something everyday to laugh about. When you are in a hospital for 19 straight days, the humor often resembles kindergarten humor, but we find that we can still have "cheerful hearts" most of the time.

The last several days have been Bob's hardest. Yesterday, he couldn't even get out of bed. He hasn't spoken a complete sentence in a week, but just now I convinced him to take a short walk in the hall. As we fumbled with his walker to get the door of his room open he said to me, "How does my hair look?" And then he smiled. I laughed out loud (he has no hair). That dry "Bugg" humor that his dad had - love it, love it. That's my man - he's coming back to life.

Bob's white blood cell counts are basically still at zero, but in one day we went from 0.11 to 0.27 - more than double. If the count doubles again tomorrow, it won't not be long before we reach the point where his body can fight germs a little. A friend wrote "slow and steady wins the race" - next time I read the "Tortoise and the Hare" to my grandkids, I may use Grandpa instead of that turtle, (he actually is looking a lot more like a turtle these days).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Patra,
Thanks for your comments. We needed to hear your words.
We continue to pray and pray. We know that God is hearing our prayers and that HE WILL answer in HIS own time.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Patra,
I can hear laughter in your written voice. I can hear encouragement
and hope. That makes me very happy!!
Thank You, Lord!
Can't picture Bob with no hair, but I would love to see that turtle :0)
No matter how either of you looks....
you are precious in His sight!
Mimi said…
wonderful that Bob can still use his humor to make you laugh in the midst of difficulty...
prayers and Hugs
The Nelsons, (Carol and Joe)
Anonymous said…
Yes Patra, we are so glad to hear your words and pray for continued strength every day. Humor is still a good key to help heal for sure. Bless both of your hearts and tell Bob, at least he doesn't have to worry about his hair, give him a lollipop and call his Kojak!
Take care all and up, up, up counts! I will continue to do my "dance"
Ted & Carol W