"Dad's Safety Belt"

(Friday, March 19, 2010)

"Dad's Safety Belt"

Update Novel from Emily:

I will never forget the first time I walked down the bone marrow transplant unit at Moffitt soon after Dad was first admitted. A man was walking down the hallway with a safety belt around his waist. A nurse held the back of the belt to make sure if the man fainted, he would fall safely to the ground.

"Wow, I thought to myself. That man must be really sick."

Only seconds later, I saw my dad and brother emerge from Dad's room... Dad wearing a big pink safety belt around his waist with Adam holding on securely from behind.

We all laughed about it that day. "Emmy," Dad said, "I am just glad to be walking!"

On these days I understand Dad's words. Dad is unable to walk now, spending most days asleep in bed. I am grateful for the rest, but at the same time, I wish we were able to buckle that safety belt and take one more lap around the wing.

On Wednesday, I walked into Dad's room to see a bald man sleeping in the bed.

"Oh Sorry," I whispered as I backed out slowly. And then I realized. That bald man fast asleep in bed is my dad! I had yet to see him without a hat and the baldness truly affects a person's look - the chemo look.

It is hard to know exactly what to write to you these days. I will never forget Dad's instructions as he entered the hospital. "If I get too sick to write, girls," he said to Jenny and me. "Keep it light. Tell the truth, but keep it light." (Can't you just hear my Dad saying that to us?)

Now we walk the balance beam - trying to help you understand Dad's condition in the most effective words for prayer, but also knowing that someday my Dad is going to read my words and I want to honor him by keeping it light :)

So, tonight I will try to give you some facts about his condition.

In addition to cancer, Dad has a rare blood disease called Amyloidosis. This is a protein disorder that attacks various organs and starts shutting them down. Dad's amyloidosis was detected in his kidneys several months back. Therefore, his kidneys have pretty much stopped functioning properly. They don't filter as they should. SO.... Dad has extreme swelling (almost 25 pounds or more of fluid buildup)! This fluid buildup is preventing Dad from sitting up, bending his knees, etc. Can you imagine gaining 25 pounds in fluid???

The doctors have given him diuretics to stop the fluid buildup. Unfortunately, the diuretics are causing dad to become dehydrated (leading to the fainting!) So, it is this game right now... Try to drain the liquid, Dad gets dehydrated. IV fluids, Dad gains 17 pounds. Diuretics... dehydration...

And until his kidneys start getting some control (hopefully as a result of the Bone Marrow Treatment) this crazy cycle will continue. While we asked you to pray over his WBC Numbers for a quick release from the hospital, we now understand that we need your prayers in a different way.

Please pray:
For some control over this weight gain/ weight loss situation. Kidney function. No more nausea! Wearing that safety belt again!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the specifics update. We are praying and will continue to do so.
Our hearts are with you. and we are holding on to the promises of the Lord; "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver thee and thou shall glorify me." Ps. 50:15
We love you.
Lex and Linda
Keep that safety belt close at hand.
Karen H said…
Wow that is not what I would expect that cancer would do to him. I so wish it was not happening to him... Affecting to his family... He will always be in my prayers. Love to you all...
Anonymous said…
We're praying, specifically, for these request you've mentioned. And, praying for God's strength for your entire family!
Anita
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
O Lord, You satisfy me
O Lord, You don't deny me
O Lord, You sacrificed for me
O Lord, You satisfy

(He satisfies my every need, according to His riches IN Christ.
He doesn't deny HIS best for me according to His love and wisdom.
He sacrificed His all for me.
In Truth...He satisfies)

always praying
ever hopeful
Anonymous said…
Emily: You are honoring your Dad and we feel the love you have for your Dad and your entire family and we still feel so blessed to be sharing this journey; although we wish we could do more. He is always on our minds and in our prayers and we will continue to pray for the fluids to stop building up and that he won't get dehydrated. As far as the loss of hair, I think God does that for a reason; you are too tired to fool with it, at least, that was my philosphy when I lost mine. When I wore my bigger glasses (11 years ago) I looked like Bunson Honeydew (from the Muppets) I put on a lab coat for Halloween and I was all set. The only thing I missed was my eyebrows & eyelashes; you don't realize how much they protect your eyes. I loved wearing different hats so I didn't have a problem with the hair on my head; plus it gave me a new hairstyle once it grew back in. As far as the safety belt; they call it a gait belt to help assist walking. We use them at the retirement center I work in so it is a good tool. Take care all; I will be visiting my Dad tomorrow in Land-O-Lakes.

Ted & Carol W
Sam Davidson said…
I read every word of this. Thanks for writing.
Anonymous said…
Dear Emily,

I couldn’t help but think of Ephesians 6:13-15 and the full armor of God as I read today’s post.

“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.”

I know that even though Bob is unable to physically stand right now he is spiritually standing strong, with the belt of truth buckled firmly around his waist!

Dusty has been blessed to get to know Bob through CBS, I’ve been blessed to get to know Bob through this blog… Thanks so much for posting!

Continuing in Prayer for all of you!

Kirsten and Dusty Voorhees
Anonymous said…
Hi Bugg Family...this is my first time with a comment. I wanted you to know that I've been keeping up with your Blog and praying for Bob and strength for the whole family. I'm a friend of Emily's, but I feel like I've met you all because of my conversations with Becky...my daughter. Please know that you are thought of and prayed for daily. Praying for that safety belt!
Love, Jill Heyse
Continuing to pray that my favorite mediator gets his strength back, the swelling stops, and that he gets that belt back ;o)

It is really heartwrenching to read what you guys all must be going through, it is very touching to see such a loving family. Many times, in caucus, when it has just been Bob and I, he has shared so many stories about all of you, his family. He has talked of his grandson just running up and opening his front door and walking in and how much that means to him. He has discussed the daughter's pregnancies, his loving wife, all of you. And now as I read all of your journey with this journey, it is really heavy on my mind everyday. I pray that the Lord just wraps his big arms around all of you and holds all of you together and you rally around your husband, father, and grandpa. I have said this before, there is no one greater than Bob in our profession, and I so dearly miss seeing him at least a couple times a month in mediation. Get well soon, Bob! We miss you and can't wait to read the good news to come right here!

God's blessings,

Marc Crumpton
Anonymous said…
Our hearts were touched deeply in Sunday School this morning, dear teacher and family. Our prayers continue...
I pray that God surrounds Bob, family, and all praying with His love, joy and peace...and I hope and trust that He will give the strength to all concerned - and the wisdom and knowledge to the medical staff. The best is that we are in our Great Physician heavenly Father's care in the name of Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 26:3,4 and Isaiah 40:31 comes to mind so many time. I just read in Isaiah 40:28,29...

28"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God,the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, faints not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

29 He gives power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall;
31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eageles; they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk, and not faint."~~~~
~~~~The inspired Words of our heavenly Father~~~~ Praise the Holy Trinity~~~
Amazing...God is in control... may His will be done as we wait upon Him
with faith as in James 1.
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie Quarles