"Another Step Forward"

(Tuesday, March 30, 2010)
“Another step forward”


What a difference a day makes! What a difference prayer makes! A couple of you must have spent some time lifting me up in prayer because today was a very good day. Yesterday was a little frustrating. It seemed like all of my numbers (blood work) were low and not improving. I was dehydrated and required I.V. fluids even though we are still very concerned about swelling from excess fluid. To be clear, this is not a problem just for me, it is an issue for all amyloidosis patients. It really is a “nasty little disease.”

I woke up this morning and could tell that yesterday’s treatment had not resulted in noticeable swelling – in fact, there was improvement in the edema in my lower extremities. (If you looked hard enough, you could actually tell that I had knee joints.) I was also encouraged by the fact that I did not feel like I was “a quart low.”

So feeling better, off we went to Moffitt for more blood tests and a meeting with the doctor.

I don’t understand all of the numbers but I will give you two examples from my blood work because the numbers really do speak for themselves. There was noticeable improvement today.

My Neutro (Neutrophil) Auto count went from 870 to 4,090!

My white blood cell count yesterday was 1.25, today it was 4.74!

After reviewing all of the blood work results, I was told that I was free to go – no need for a transfusion, no need for an infusion, no need for an injection. Even my catheter (port) got to take the day off today. I will need to go to the clinic every day for the rest of the week to be closely monitored.

Patra asked me if I needed a wheelchair to go from the fourth floor treatment center to the parking garage. I told her no, today was a good day for walking out of the treatment center. Adam stopped by our apartment on his way home from law school and went with me as I again completed the entire route around the lake. (I felt so good after my appointment that I knew I would complete the route today!) More importantly, I didn’t need a nap when we finished – I felt really good.

Thanks for your prayers!

I think this Easter is going to be one of the most meaningful Easters of my entire life.

After all, this is the time we celebrate Jesus’ victory over death. And because of what He did, I can already celebrate my victory over these “nasty little diseases.” I just don’t know exactly what form my victory will take.

Bob


Note from Emily to Dad's Sunday school class: I know that you made a special DVD for my dad this past Sunday, and it was delivered it to our home! I have not yet been able to deliver it to dad as I have been dealing with a bout of strep throat this week (keeping me far away from Dad). I just wanted to let you know why Dad hasn't mentioned it yet - he has yet to view it :)

Photo from Emily: A terrible picture through a screened in porch, but if you squint your eyes, you can see Dad's Marathon Lake from his apartment.

DSCN3330

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow am happy your wbc count is up and that you have been able to walk around your "lake" we keep thinking of you and keep you in our prayers...the weather is getting better and hopefully you will get stronger and enjoy the outside...know we are thinking of you both ...Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD!!! PRAISE GOD!!!! We are so happy for the answers to prayer.
Bob, we just keep praying for you as God does HIS work.
This is such wonderful news; we will sleep so well tonight.
Remember, we love you and will continue to pray and praise.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Thank you Jesus for the continued healing you are doing in Bob's body. We are so grateful for the knowledge you have given these doctors to help the process and we know you are the ultimate physician and we thank you for that. Yes, the neutrophils and WBC counts; I know what that is all about; the shots do help with those counts. Hopefully you will not get a "quart low" again. We need a well-oiled machine for your continued healing.
It was a beautiful day for a walk, looks like we will have a few more!
Spring has "sprung"; you should see my Easter hat for our contest at work!! Enjoy your day and keep the right fluids going and draining!
Take care!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Sooooo thrilled with the good news. Larry and I are disappointed we were not in SS last week to be in your video. We were in Jax celebrating our youngest Tacia boy's profession of faith and following in baptism. But,we are confident that you know how much you are loved and prayed for.
Indeed this is a blessed Easter week.
Jenny said…
Whoa! This is fantastic news, Dad! Guess that'll teach me not to call you while I'm away. What a day to miss the updates! Praise God for the answers to many many prayers for your wbc. Can't wait to celebrate Easter with you all when we get back. Love ya!