"Taking a Break"

“Taking a Break”

(Thursday, February 11, 2010)

Yesterday was a historic day - my last mediation until I recover from the bone marrow transplant. I was certified as a circuit civil mediator in 1991. It took a number of years to “build up” my practice until I was able to mediate full time. In 1994, I started keeping count of the number of mediations I conducted. When we finished yesterday’s mediation, the total number of cases mediated since 1994 equals 6,217. (That’s a lot of conflict.)

It has been a “family business” in every sense of the word. Diane, Lucy and Sheila worked with me in the early years (and did a terrific job – thank you!) but for the last several years, it has been Patra, Jenny and Emily serving as receptionist, bookkeeper, coordinator, accounts receivable, accounts payable, custodian, etc.

Prior to coming to work with me, Jenny was the operations manager of a Tampa store of a national retailer. She was the “career woman” and moving up the corporate ladder, but in 2005, she and David were blessed with Andrew. Suddenly her priorities changed. I offered her a deal she couldn’t refuse. Come to work for me and I will pay you substantially less money than you are making but I will recognize that this job is not the priority of your life. She accepted my offer (after all, I am a professor of negotiation) and it has worked out wonderfully for me. I have been true to my word – she has been drastically underpaid.

Jenny and Patra share the job. Jenny works in the morning, while Patra babysits - at noon they would switch jobs. And since the switch often occurred at the office, I would get to see Andrew (and now, Megan) almost every day at lunch. I love the fact that Andrew is so comfortable at the office. He will say hello (if he is not being shy) to my clients as he proceeds to the refrigerator and grabs a doughnut or snack.

Emily is in the final stages of obtaining her Ph.D. In the last several months, with the schedule of doctor visits and a new daughter for Jenny, Emily has come aboard and is helping out. What a great blessing. Austin now is just as comfortable as Andrew around the office.

As you can see, my staff is way overqualified.

I have never regretted my decision to become a mediator. I will miss it a great deal. Most importantly, as I have told the people I work with – I’m just “taking a break.” I’ll be back! I just need a little time to deal with these “nasty little diseases.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob,

You and your family are in my prayers. I just learned of your illness yesterday. I thought when I saw you at McCabe's one Sat. morning that it had been way too long since we had done a mediation together. Those selections get made for so many different reasons without my direct involvement. I hope to see you back in the saddle soon and get back on your calendar!

Keep your spirits up as I know you will...God bless you and keep you..as I know He will,

In Christ's love,

Lorrie Robinson
Jenny said…
Hmm.. you may be the professor of negotiation, but don't think for a minute that you're the one who "won" out on this situation.

I've had the best gig in town for the past 5 years!!

Hurry up and get this over with & get well. I think 10,000 would be a nice round number of mediations to retire on. And that's going to take a few more years...

love, Jenny
Anonymous said…
Patra & Bob,
God's love for you is HUGE and we continue to pray, without ceasing, for all the good He has planned for you. We are constantly reminded to pray - even in the middle of the night! I think the cold north winds that are rattling our windows so loud that we can't sleep might be your fault! We love you! Randy & Carol
Anonymous said…
Your family is so blessed to have you as their "leader". Yes, they pull together as well and that is so good.

Thanks for letting us share as your extended family and I know your negotiation skills will continue to be utilized during this process.

Bless you all! We missed you at the Sunday School party last night but we prayed for you as this journey begins!

Take care

Carol & Ted
Anonymous said…
You continue to inspire, Mr. Bugg! I have forwarded your blog to my dear great-aunt in Atlanta in hopes that you will be some good medicine and encouragement to her as well. She just learned she has cancer last week. She has always been such a blessing to me. Please keep her in your prayers as you reread those books in the coming weeks! I hope that she, as well as you, will feel the Lord's great arms wrapped around her and will see His glory and hand as you both face these trials. Her name is Shirley.
Take care and know you and 0all your family are loved and prayed for. xo
Jennifer N. (Jenny's friend)
Anonymous said…
You continue to inspire, Mr. Bugg! I have forwarded your blog to my dear great-aunt in Atlanta in hopes that you will be some good medicine and encouragement to her as well. She just learned she has cancer last week. She has always been such a blessing to me. Please keep her in your prayers as you reread those books in the coming weeks! I hope that she, as well as you, will feel the Lord's great arms wrapped around her and will see His glory and hand as you both face these trials. Her name is Shirley.
Take care and know you and 0all your family are loved and prayed for. xo
Jennifer N. (Jenny's friend)
Tawny George said…
Uncle Bob,
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. We enjoy being able to follow along to know how things are going. Hopefully, you'll feel a little support knowing people are stalking you like crazies =) We love you! I know it must've been difficult to take a break. You have done such a great job for all these years and I'm sure you can look back and appreciate the hard work and long hours you put in to building a good career. I pray that God will strengthen you and the fam during this time, that He will strengthen your heart and Spirit and overwhelm you with His presence. Thanks again for sharing. Good luck as the process begins!!! Much love!
Anonymous said…
Thank you , Bob, for being so kind to my mother and to us as you were the mediator for her. She thought so highly of you and we are forever grateful in the way you treated her so gently in such a scary situation. We are continuing to pray for you and your sweet family. I look forward to the blog that will say "OPEN FOR BUSINESS".
Carol and Heyward
Anonymous said…
Bob-

My prayers are with you and your family!

From the beginning, you have always been a great mediator and even better guy. I remember in my early years, you made me feel so comfortable in front of my clients when I was nervous about not knowing what I was doing. Through the years, you remained a great guy (and I remained not knowing what I was doing!).

Thanks for being you!!

Take Care, my friend!

Matthew Noyes