"It's OK to not be OK - just don't stay there."

“It’s OK to not be OK – just don’t stay there.”

(Tuesday, February 9, 2010)

This past November, on Thanksgiving day, a young pastor of a large Baptist church in Texas, suffered a seizure caused by a Grade 3, aggressive, malignant brain tumor. Pastor Matt Chandler is 35 years old, married and has two young children. In early December, he had major brain surgery and is undergoing chemotherapy and treatment.

I have never personally met Matt Chandler but I have read several articles about him. He has for some time had a saying, “It’s OK to not be OK – just don’t stay there.” When he made this statement, he wasn’t specifically referring to how we handle a difficult diagnosis or illness. But like a number of other sayings - the minute I heard it - I claimed it as one of those thoughts that will help me through my own journey.

I am asked several times a day, “How are you?”

I almost always answer, “I’m OK.”

“No, really, how are you?”

“I’m really OK.”

Faith, family and friends – those are the reasons I’m OK.

I really am OK. Right now.

But I don’t know if that is going to be true tomorrow, next week, or even later today.

Someone may soon ask me that question, and I will say, “I’m not OK.” And that’s going to be OK, too, as long as I don’t stay there.

My faith may falter. I sincerely hope not, but I do not know. I’ve never done this before. I don’t know the future. When I read the Bible, it doesn’t sugar coat – even the apostles went through times where their faith faltered. There were times when they weren’t OK. But they didn’t stay there.

Faith, family, friends. When I think about those three foundations, I have a cheerful heart and I am optimistic that more often than not, when you ask me, I am going to say, “I’m OK.”

Comments

Jenny said…
Thanks, Dad! This is good, practical advice. Love it... Love you!!
jbd
Anonymous said…
Bob, Just wanted to let you know that I really look forward to reading your blog!! We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us & keeping us up to date. You are such an inspiration to so many people. Randy & I have known you & Patra for alot of years & if I had to pick 3 words to describe you both I would have to say "FAITHFUL, STEADY & TRUE" and that would be to your Lord, your family & your friends. You are an amazing couple & we love you both! Just know that we are praying for you & your family as you walk this path!!
Love Anita & Randy Eldridge
Anonymous said…
Bob: I know where you are at. Even though I felt okay with the diagnosis, there were days that I just felt "blah" or edgy, sometimes it was the treatment, other times I let the "world" get to me. But thank God for good friends & family that cheered me back; brought me back to my reality and that I could do this.
Sometimes it was a card, other a phone call; I am not sure if there were "blogs" 11 years ago but wasn't a part of one. I did keep some notes. February 13th, 1999 was when I was diagnosed, my surgery was February 17th, I had my surgery and my journey has been uphill since so hang tough!!

Carol Wilhite
Anonymous said…
Praying that today is one of those okay days.
A good message for us all.
Carol Mathews
Anonymous said…
one little suggestion perhaps for Patra --- keep a Blessing Book. Just a little one where she might write 2 or 3 short phrases - something good each day. Sometimes it might be "good lunch" or maybe "friends called" or a special verse or note from a card.
The point is that it be short and sweet - and GOOD things that happen.
Because God is GOOD,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
From Ruthie Q.-Wondered how you all are doing... interesting to read your 'I'm O.K' blog. Hoping that Patra is feeling better. Sore throat,etc. isn't exactly what we ever have in mind. "God is able.... He is in control..." James McDonnell just said that on WKES at this very moment..."Embrace the trial" ' "Submitting to God..." Heb. 12:9" 'Remain under the trial so that ye may be found faithful...' I Peter 4:19"Wherefore let them that suffer according in the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator."
James 1:6 "give submission over to the Lord"
I Peter 4 "suffering inside God's will? Entrust souls to a faithful creator.
Yield to God... trust Him...embrace this..committing to God" -
"Turning these trials to gold" is the prayer that James McDonnell just closed with.

Well, it is hard to know what to say sometime.... I thank God for radio ministries for such a time as this.

Dave wants to add something : The substitutes have been doing well... but he told Bob M. that his computer skills aren't as good as yours are!
In Christ's love & prayers,
Dave & Ruthie Quarles