"Irony"

One definition of irony is “an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.”

Several days ago I received a letter from the National Marrow Donor Program. I opened the letter wondering how it was related to my treatment since I will be doing an autologous transplant (I will collect my own stem cells for the transplant – a donor is not used.) The letter reads in part:

Dear Robert:
On 01/19/2004, you took the first step to help save someone’s life – you signed up to become a member of the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) Registry….
Please take a moment to verify your contact information. If you are found to be a match, we need to reach you quickly.


I can assure you, and the National Marrow Donor Program, that where I am now, is contrary to what was, or might have been, expected by me on January 19, 2004.

How ironic.

From talking to my doctors, I don’t think they are going to want to reach me quickly anytime soon.

Comments

Call me a tad slow but I am wondering why they are verifying your information 6 years later? Am I missing something? It is fascinating how something like this would be casually read a year ago and has so much impact now.

And about our friend irony. I think its definition should read
like this...

Irony: "life."
Anonymous said…
Bizzare yes. Maybe it was just a reminder of who you are and how willing you are to share with others. I guess you found your match!!

Hope Patra is feeling better and know we think of you both a lot!

Take care
Carol & Ted
Anonymous said…
Bob, we think that this letter is a reminder to you of your willingness to help in any capacity possible for those who may need you. Your spirit demonstrated such in 2004 when you signed the registry.
We are amazed at our God's ways of reminding us of those things about ourselves. God knew even then that you would be donating to yourself at this very time.
We love you and Patra and continue to pray for you both as well as all involved in your healing process.
Lex and Linda