"Intellectual Property Law"

"Intellectual Property Law"

Since 2003 I have taught “Negotiation & Mediation” as an adjunct professor at Stetson Law School, my alma mater. It has been an honor and a privilege, and a lot of fun.

Because it involves a long hospitalization and time away from home, one of the things you have to do in preparation for a bone marrow transplant is plan what you are going to do to keep your mind occupied. We have been getting the supplies together – laptop computer, Ipod loaded with music and podcasts, and of course books. In that regard, I pulled out a copy of Judge Posner’s book on Intellectual Property (IP) Law. I know nothing about IP law. Students at the top of the class (not me) understand Intellectual Property. A number of my students have been interested in IP and I figured this “sabbatical” would be a good time to be intellectually challenged and put together some interesting role plays involving Intellectual Property law for my class.

When we met with a doctor Thursday, she brought up the subject of books. “Some people come here thinking they are going to learn a new language. They fail to realize that the drugs we give you adversely effect your ability to think. I suggest you bring books you have read before so you will remember the characters and the plot.”

“Judge Posner, sorry about that, but I think Intellectual Property and I are going to have to have to get together at some later date.”

I am now going through Andrew and Austin’s coloring books, trying to find ones where I recognize the characters. (I hope Austin doesn’t mind that I’m planning to take all of his green crayons - his favorite color.)

Seriously, how am I going to find books that I have read before that I remember the characters and the plot.

Where would I find a book like that? Particularly one that I would want to read again.

A book that I will be able to remember the characters and the plot.

“Patra, have we packed my Bible yet?”

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bingo! The best book ever. I did do crossword puzzles too. I also found little short books to read or Chicken Soups for the Soul; several friends brought me those.
The "chemo fog" as they call it is something you try not and get frustrated over. My sisters & I would tease; because I may have told one sister something three times and forget to tell the other. I found that keeping a few index cards or a little notebook is useful; especially for writing questions down that you wanted to ask the doctor; invariably I would forget when it came time for an appt so at least if I had my notecards that helped tremendously. When were were little (& had your tonsils out) we got as a gift the little board with the plastic cover that went over & you could write on it & then pull the page back up and erase it (prior to etch-a-sketch) I got one of those as a gift as well. Now I keep post-it's by my bed when I wake up at night and forgot to do something at work! Anyway, enjoy coloring books (get a 64 pack of crayons) you will feel so much better!! Forget the heavy stuff!!

Ted & Carol W
SouthAsiaRocks said…
That's awesome :) You totally made me smile :) Praying!
Anonymous said…
Dear Friend,
The scripture for our sermon this morning was based on Psalm 121 - "I lift up my eys to the hills -Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord......." It is so comforting to know that He does not slumber nor sleep. Even though we need our sleep, it doesn't always come easy - the older we get, the harder it becomes to get a good night's sleep!...so we have found ourselves praying for you at all hours 24/7. Keep surrounding yourself with positive thoughts and positive people. We love your sense of humor! You are a blessing to us and to so many who know you and Patra.

Love and Prayers,
j&j
Anonymous said…
Bob,
Maybe we should help your coloring book collection by checking out those in TN owned by our grandsons. Since you won't need green crayons, that will help us narrow the field. HA
You keep us laughing. Such wonderful medicine.
Lex and Linda