"Installing a Carburetor"

(Tuesday, February 16, 2010)

Today will be a long day. The doctors will install/insert/implant/place a stock Holley four-barrel – strike that – I apparently watched way too much coverage of Sunday’s Daytona 500 – the doctors will not be installing a carburetor in my chest.
I’m getting a catheter (most of you have probably heard of it referred to as a port). It has a fancy name which reminded me of the carburetor. I’m getting an Intravenous Central Line Catheter with two access caps, known as a Neostar double-lumen catheter. From what I understand “it slices! it dices! it makes julienne fries!” Only kidding. (Some of you are old enough to remember Ron Popeil’s television commercials for the Veg-O-Matic during the 60s.) My new catheter will provide access to major veins so that I will be able to receive fluids, nutrition, chemotherapy, blood product transfusions, and medications. That’s almost as good as making julienne fries. And this thin, flexible plastic tube with the fancy name will cost my insurer more than a Veg-O-Matic.
In addition to the procedure to install the line, I will have a session on caring for the catheter. Then Patra and I will attend a two-hour class for bone marrow transplant patients and at the end of the day, I will receive my Neupogen shots.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are such a good spirit! We really like you!! It is so good for you to keep up with the humor!
I also had a port and it was wonderful. It fact, I had mine for seven years "just in case" I know yours is different as mine was for the chemo and a few of the tests. I was a "card carrying" member in case it went off at the airport! My little friend, Makenzie got to keep hers; she is going to use it as a tree ornament next Christmas - I was a little upset as they wouldn't let me keep mine, bummer! Still praying and enjoying your posts! Take Care!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
WOW - what a busy day! I hope all went well and that you are resting comfortably now. Since you're doing all this during the Olympics - tell the nurses that your friends said you should get some kind of medal (based on your "good patient behavior" --- would it be gold, silver,bronze, or none of the above??)
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Bob, I am a friend and admirer of your daughter Jenny. I have been reading her blog since its inception, and have learned so much from her and her beautiful, God-focused perspectives. When I heard you would also be maintaining a blog, I vowed to keep up with it because you must be as fabulous as Jenny.

I have faithfully read every post of yours, but this is my first time commenting. I am amazed by your humor, strength, humility, faith, and stamina. I pray that this journey of yours provides much unexpected beauty and insight to outweigh, at least in part, its pain.

Take good care. <3
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra,
We just wanted to let you know we are praying for you. A close friend of ours, Sheila, who lives in North Carolina also has recently been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. We had never heard of it before. Sheila, like you, just wants to glorify God through it all. We find ourselves encouraged by your cheerful attitude.I don't know how people face things like this without Jesus. You will be just fine as you continue to trust Him. We will continue to lift you in prayer.

Sherrie and Wayne Patterson