"How do you respond to a friend with a serious illness?"

Don’t tell me prayer doesn’t work. Yesterday I mentioned that I had been told I needed to have another bone marrow biopsy. Not exactly my favorite way to spend the day. Yesterday afternoon Moffitt called and my doctor apparently has decided that I don’t need the additional bone marrow biopsy!



“How do you respond to a friend with a serious illness?”

There are many ways that people respond to someone with a serious illness. Some people struggle with how to respond. They don’t want to say or do the wrong thing. The important thing is to respond. Don’t worry about saying the wrong thing. At the same time, if you wonder whether it's appropriate to say, the general rule is: It probably isn't.

I have had fun with some of the responses. They have “cheered my heart.”

For example:

This is what they said to me.

“Bob, I had an uncle who had the same thing you have, before he died, he had a wonderful life, he traveled the world, visited family, enjoyed playing golf.”

This is what they wanted me to hear.
“Bob, I had an uncle who had the same thing you have, before he died, he had a wonderful life, he traveled the world, visited family, enjoyed playing golf.”

This is what I heard.
“Bob, I had an uncle who had the same thing you have, before HE DIED, yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada.”


I’m only kidding. Everyone has been wonderful. I actually hear the heart of the person talking to me. I hope they can hear my grateful heartfelt response back. To have people tell you they are sorry you are sick, they care for you, they will pray for you, is one of the most humbling things that has ever happened to me. It is also incredibly meaningful.

God Bless!

Bob

Comments

Mimi said…
Bob,
I hope you know what a blessing you are going to be to so many people, by blogging about your thoughts and feelings...
and I get it..I won't say the words...just listen to my heart...
praying for you, Patra, and your entire family,
{{Hugs}}
Carol
BYKO2A said…
Dear Bob, Though I have never met you, I've had the joy of being in the same Bible Study group with Patra, and I, therefore, know what a wonderful wife you have. As I've read your blog posts, I've realized that Patra has a wonderful, godly husband with a great offbeat sense of humor.

We prayed for you and Patra today at the Bible Study. May the Lord enable you to glorify Him all through this time, and I'm asking Him, please, to heal you. He is able!

Blessings! Luanne Hurst
SDUE said…
Hi Bob,
I am saddened to hear the experience you & Patra are going through. I know God has used you in the legal community... but boy is He using you now! Thank you for standing true to Jesus during this trial. I love your heart. My family & friends are praying for you to stand in the midst of this trial knowing that God will provide. He will never leave you or forsake you. He will make good come from this. He will prevail. In Jesus name, Amen..

Shana Duehring
(former FWBB)
Anonymous said…
Hey, Bob - just checking in with you before going to sleep. Hope today was a good day for you... would you write something about if you are experiencing any particular pains right now or any certain things to pray about? Would like to know how this feels to you at the moment.
Luv,
Linda (Word) Hyde
Anonymous said…
Praise God that HE , I mean your doctor, determined that you did not have to have another biopsy. Perhaps during these times, He tunes us in more to realize how many things that happen are truly a "God Thing."
Carol M.