"God Will Provide - but probably not this way!"

I have been asked by a couple of people to give an update on how I am doing. The amyloidosis was originally detected when I had complaints of (edema) swelling in my ankles and legs. I was gaining significant amounts of weight in my lower extremities. My doctors prescribed a diuretic to get rid of the excess fluid. Unfortunately, the medicine and the disease caused me to become dehydrated. I passed out in November and was hospitalized for a couple of days and given fluid (yes, that does sound contradictory for someone retaining fluid.) When my care was transferred to Moffitt, the doctors there took me off the diuretic, feeling it is more important to stay healthy for the bone marrow transplant. My legs swell and one of my nurses commented that I have “Popeye legs.” My hands also swell and I have had to stop wearing my wedding ring for fear that I will not be able to get it off.
While I still have fatigue associated with the disease, fatigue is much better than dehydration. (I take a lot of naps these days.) Other than the swelling and fatigue, I feel pretty good most days. Because I do feel pretty good, I often ask Patra, “Why are we doing this?”

“God will provide – but probably not this way!”

We are in the process of shutting down the business for several months while I have the bone marrow biopsy and recuperate. That is hard to do. It’s hard because I really love my job. I look forward to going to work. I enjoy the people I work with. (OK, in an effort to be totally honest, there may be a few people that I enjoy less than the others.) I love being a mediator and helping resolve disputes.

Plus, there is the additional fact that when the doors aren’t open, there is no income coming in.

I confess that occupies some of my thoughts.

But, WOW, did I get great news in an email today. A woman I have never met, who lives in Benin, in West Africa, emailed me today about an interesting business proposal. Apparently her late husband was very wealthy. She is not doing too well. (I’m not sure how she found out about me, but Emily did go on a mission trip to Benin in 2001 - maybe she met Emily and remembers her.)
In any event, she wants to send me US $7,500,00.00 (Seventy Thousand, Five Hundred, US Dollars.) - I know that doesn’t match but I’m impressed that with English not being her first language, she was able to compose the letter as well as she did. Also, either way, that is more money than I would have made in the next three months had I kept working.

So, it looks like my worries are over. WAIT A MINUTE. I just got another email. This time from someone in the United Kingdom – I’ve been selected again. So sad, she also lost her husband, a banker, in the Benin government – what a coincidence. WOW! $20,000,000.00 (Twenty Million US Dollars) This will be so easy, she gave me a code and I can get the money at “ANY ATM MACHINE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.”

I may never need to work again.

God will provide, but probably not this way!

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Bob,
My name is Lee Wilcox and I am David Dunlap's cousin. I found your blog through Jenny and have found it very encouraging! I think your humor and positivity in the midst of your circumstances are a special gift from God! My prayers are with you and your family!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the update. I have never known anyone who really got those emails but had heard about them. See if you can forward them to proper authorities. And be sure to let us know how the Lord does provide - HIS way will be way better!

How about an update on what Patra is doing?

Luv to you both.
Linda(Word)Hyde
Oh, oh they must know me too! I get those emails all the time. Such compassion. Such generosity. So much so that I have been inspired to reach out to others the same way with the vast funds I possess. Now if I could just get your social security number and bank code we can get started...
Karen said…
Now I know where Em gets her amazing writing ability and hysterical sense of humor! She's a chip off the old block! Praying that your cheerful heart continues to be just what the doctor ordered! Praying for you guys and all that's ahead!!

Karen
Anonymous said…
OK --- now you are making me laugh everyday !!! Will be thinking of you and Patra tomorrow and in the days to come. Keep smiling..
~~ Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Glad the overseas people have your email address. The calanedar was agreat idea, so we can pray for you and your family. Just think later on,when this is over,all the lives that were touched.
Thanks for the daily updates. Emily is a sweet girl,I remember going to youth camp w her as a chaperone.
Love, Odette
Mimi said…
wow, all the BIG MONEY finds your email address... only the love lorn find mine...
keep your sense of humor...

thanks for the calendar, we will be able to pray specifically each day...
Anonymous said…
Bob,

Your musings are so funny. Loved the ones on you and Michael Jackson and conscious sedation. I was laughing out loud and amazed that you've found your "inner Dave Barry." You will be in my prayers throughout this journey and I look forward to many more of your blogs.

Cousin Kathy
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Bob, when you get your hands on the 20 million, I have a few needs of my own. I appreciate your faith, strength, humor ...and your generosity!
pmf
Domeick Murano said…
Hello Bob;
I heard about your ordeal rom my daughter Kim Murano and then found your blog. It is no surprise to me that so many people are supporting ad praying for you. If any one can beat this I would put my money on you aytime. I am still working for Joe Saunders 727-579-4500 and if there is anything that i can do to support you please get in touch with me. Personal number 727-667-4039. My daughter Kim also sends you her best regards. In our prayers.
Domenick Murano