"Getting Wired"

(Wednesday, February 24, 2010)
“Getting Wired”

Patra and I checked in to Moffitt at 11:00 am on Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, the initial examination and lab reports showed that I was “unbalanced.” (OK friends, be nice, not mentally unbalanced but an unbalanced fluid level.) My protein level had fallen even further than on Monday. My edema (swelling) was bad, REAL bad. That resulted in a need for lots of medications during the afternoon and early evening. I couldn’t begin to tell you the names of all the medications I received orally and by I.V. (This is my way of telling you that if this post doesn’t make sense, it is the drugs.) Speaking of drugs, while Adam was visiting, a nurse informed us that one of the medications would probably make me very “wired and hyper.” My wife and son smiled at each other and began to describe my personality to the nurse. From their description, most people would think I am relatively calm, which I interpreted as boring. I personally would prefer to think I am working on trying to develop one of the fruits of the Spirit – self-control. Under either interpretation, I would admit that I am not often “wired.”

Since there is a camera in my room to help the nurses monitor me, Adam went to my nurse as he left and asked if they could video tape me while I was “wired and hyper” – he would love to have a copy of that. His request became the talk of the unit – at the shift change, my new nurse mentioned his request to me.

I was impressed by the work of the doctors and the efforts made to give me comfort and healing. I met with a number of different departments getting oriented.
Our room is large, with a television, desk, recliner and a couch that converts into a bed where Patra can sleep.

Adam’s wife, Sharon put together a framed picture collage of our family and grandchildren. It sits right in front of my bed – it is very special – it cheers my heart.

They were finally able to start the chemotherapy at 8:00. Understand, I had never before had chemotherapy. Over the last couple of months, when my mind would go there, I would think of chemotherapy as Alfred Hitchcock or Stephen King on steroids. Just before 8:00 p.m. the pharmacy delivered the chemotherapy medication and there was a somewhat formal protocol between the nurses confirming that I was the proper patient and it was the correct drug. They stood on opposite sides of my bed and read out loud to each other from my wrist band and the drug’s identification numbers. My eyes got larger.

Then my nurse put on a heavy protective gown and heavy blue gloves before she began to hook the drug up to the machine and to me. I confess – my pulse elevated. And then … drum roll … my role consisted totally of sitting in bed eating ice chips and orange freezes to help minimize mouth ulcers and sores while watching the Olympics - hardly the stuff of a Stephen King novel. A verse came to me: “Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God.”

The doctors and nurses have told me that the side effects and problems from the chemotherapy, which can be many and can be problematic, will probably occur in about a week.

I have my second chemotherapy Wednesday morning at 9:00 a.m.
Oh, in case you were wondering, I don’t think I was wired or hyper but I do remember asking my nurse about midnight if she wanted me to recite the first 7 places of the winners of all the Alpine skiing events for the last 4 winter Olympics. In any order she chose. I don’t think that is being wired – maybe babbling.

My thanks to Jenny or Emily for deleting 20 pages of extraneous material from this post.
Bob

Note from Emily – just because I think pictures are fun, I am adding a picture of Adam, Sharon, and their precious baby, Avery to this post (since dad mentioned them). Many of my dad’s friends haven’t seen Adam in a while and I think that pictures are always a welcome addition to any blog.

DSCN2797


Additional note from Emily: my mom asked me to do this about a week ago - and I just now remembered - I think I have chemo brain! If anyone would like to email my parents rather than commenting on the blog, please feel free to email them at patrabugg@gmail.com. Jenny and I also keep "mommy blogs" and would love to have you visit any time to see additional pictures of Bob's family.

Jenny's blog: www.mom2drew.blogspot.com
Emily's blog: www.emilybugg.blogspot.com

Comments

Mimi said…
you make it sound so easy... but we know how difficult this is for you and the entire family... please know that you are all in our every prayer...that God give you the strength necessary to see you through this...
{{Hugs}}
Carol and Joe Nelson
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Emily, I think pictures are a welcome addition to any blog, as well. Keep them coming.

Can't believe you have all grown up...and beautifully, I might add. Well, maybe not Adam...more like handsomely.

I have pictures from church events of you all when you were middle school age.

love to your whole family, pat
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We want to see that photo of your being "wired and hyper". We haven't seen that side of Bob Bugg since we have known you. So be sure to share.
Is the edema any better yet?
Are you eating well to keep up your strength?
We continue to pray!!!
We love you.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
From Ruthie Q. Wow! With all you have gone through, I am amazed that you feel like writing! You are brave and so are Patra and your dear family. I am so thankful that Bible verses come to your mind,Bob. (Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, as written in Ephesians 6:17) I like your "self-controlled" comment -- I sense that God is giving you amazing strength -- keep on keeping on and trusting Him to help you through it all and to comfort you with His: love,joy,peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control (Fruit of the Holy Spirit, Galatians 5:22,23)
Reminds me of the song:
"Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,
I've learned to trust in God,
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His Word."
What a precious, growing family!!
God's blessings to all! PRAISE HIM!
Keep on putting on God's armor-- Ephesians 6:10-18 Rest in the fact that God is with us -- thoughts of peace - Yes, "Be anxious for nothing>" onto Philippians 4:8,9

Dave just came in and said,"Count on God to do the right thing and rely on Him to do what's best- trust in faith... Saying it is one thing... doing it is another."
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Quarles
Anonymous said…
Yes, Eph 4 - Be anxious about nothing; that is one of my favorites. Yes, the first time for chemo is a little "un-nerving" but, I also, slowly chewed the ice chips as well. Keep your mouth super-clean, brush and rinse two-three times a day. Yes, I want to see the video of you "wired" as well. I appreciate you still posting and seeing your lovely family. We enjoy each moment we can share with all of you. God bless you real good!!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Tom says: Bob, it is a tremendous blessing to see the way you are trusting the Lord thru this ordeal. You are an inspiration. Thank you for your walk. We love you and will continue to pray.