"Fine Dining"

(Sunday, February 14, 2010)

Patra and I just got home from Moffitt. Today was the second day of injections of Neupogen. Neupogen is a blood growth factor used to stimulate my bone marrow so that it will produce a large number of stem cells - which will be released into my blood stream so that later this week they can be collected and frozen for the transplant. (This part of the process is called mobilization.)
One of my nurses mentioned how many lives have been saved because of this drug. I couldn’t help but think how wonderfully the human body was designed by a loving Father who has also gifted very bright scientists and doctors who have been able to bring about these wonderful life saving treatments.
I tolerated the shots well – the nurses were terrific. I don’t ever remember having shots in my stomach before but it was not bad. I had some pain in my back this morning (I was grateful my nurse had perfectly described the symptoms to me last night). The pain medicine worked wonderfully and I am feeling good tonight.
Our very first appointment at Moffitt in December was on our anniversary. Patra and I spent a long day there meeting with doctors and being tested. We didn’t know where anything was. (Now, less than two months later, I feel like I could be a tour guide.) We didn’t know that Moffitt had a very nice cafeteria. So for lunch on our anniversary, Patra and I sat in a waiting room and split a package of cheese crackers. On a day of emotion because of the overwhelming medical news and plan of treatment, we looked at each other while we were eating our crackers and began to laugh at “the circumstances.”
Tonight, because of the schedule for shots, we ended up grabbing Popeye’s chicken and driving to a parking lot on Moffitt’s campus that “overlooked” a wooded area and had a picnic.
Does this man know how to show his wife a romantic dinner on Valentine’s Day or what?
It is true that it means more who you are with than what you are eating.
But it is also true that when this is over, I owe her a few very nice dinners out. (Maybe under an umbrella at Checkers?)

Comments

Anonymous said…
You can find time to share in the most unusual circumstances, and yes, you are right - it is who you are with! I remember McDonald's taken to Lake Seminole Park before we walked before my radiation or just something he brought home when I didn't feel like cooking. It is the thoughfulness of the situation at hand is what counts!
We took Daddy the "grouper sandwiches" from Christos and I did stop and get "Mounds" cake from Toojays for dessert! Mom brought brownies and Hershey's minatures so what else did we need to share the quality time! We showed the video's of Zachary walking and "talking"? so that made it a very special day!
Ted & Carol
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We love it. What more could a woman want than to share those goodies with her man??
Patra just loves being with you no matter what you are eating. However, she will probably hold you to those good meals under that fancy umbrella.
So good to hear that the injections are going well. We continue to pary and praise for you both.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Really ennjoyed being included with you family for lunch on Sunday. So nice to talk to you and Patra and laugh with the antics of the kids. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all, not only you and Patra but your kids too.. Jon & Marilyn