"Developing a cheerful Heart"

We spent most of the day at Moffitt yesterday. It now seems very real and the pace is definitely going to be heating up. We are so appreciative of the doctors and nurses and staff at Moffitt. It is a blessing to have a facility like Moffitt located so close to us. It will certainly make the process more manageable. We have been a patient at Moffitt not even two months, and Patra and I talked yesterday about how comfortable and confident we have become in the treatment and care we are receiving. We feel like we know our doctors and staff personally, and they know us personally and care about us as patients and as people. It is amazing how much comfort that brings.

I am reminded of what God told Jeremiah. (You may recall that Jeremiah is often referred to as “the weeping prophet” so he obviously needed comforting. One of the ways God comforted him was to let Jeremiah know that God knew who Jeremiah was and God cared for Jeremiah.)“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

In my own personal amplified translation of that verse:
“Bob, before you were a baby in your mother’s womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I knew all about this journey you're going through with these “nasty little diseases.” I’m not surprised by them. I know you, and I’ve appointed you to accomplish certain things in your life. And nothing will stop you from keeping any appointment I’ve made for you.

If you have a couple of minutes, I think you will enjoy the video of Megan below. Even at three months, her Mom is already working on developing her sense of humor. As a granddad, I think she has a cheerful heart – I know she cheers mine.

Girl Talk from Jennifer Dunlap on Vimeo.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for posting this precious video. You must be so proud! You and your family are in my prayers often!
Carrie Staller
Anonymous said…
Yes, how precious those videos are. We got one last night of our Zachary crawling up and down the stairs & just giggling away! That is what keeps us sane for sure!

Yes, Bob we are blessed to have such good facilities here. I know my doctor worked in conjunction with those at Moffit so they share across the bay. Actually had my labs done today & see the doc next week for my six-month check-up. When I received my chemo the chairs were arranged in around the room; some patients chose to be by themselves, a lot of us talked & became friends for sure. We were a family; talked to a new patient today waiting for her first treatment, I was able to share that I am now 11 years so hopefully she was encouraged. We are here for each other!
Take care.
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
What a precious video! It is such a wonderful time to watch the little one grow! Thanks for sharing! May God continue to bless you all richly!
I appreciated Bob's insight today, too!
I overheard a comment the other day on the radio that seems appropriate -perhaps you have heard this somewhere, too. Someone asked as to why Christians go through some things in life. The reply was, "People are watching as to how we deal with it".
I think of the hymn, "Be Strong in the Lord & be of good courage..."
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie Q.
Anonymous said…
Hi Mr. Bugg,
I just can't tell you what an encouragement your writing is to me. And I bet it never even crossed your mind how much God would use this blog, and your battle to bless others. I am sending the link to several others who are dealing with serious medical issues and need some light in their life, because unlike you, they do not have the assurance of it all being in God's hands and on his timetable. What a simple concept that is so hard to grasp but so reassuring once you are able to. As I read, I can't help but think how neat it is to see where Jenny "got it" from - the faith and the writing ability! I always describe her as my dear friend who has been given the gift of faith and I love her for it. She is among my good and perfect gifts. Thanks to you and Patra for bringing her into this world!
Love,
Jennifer N.
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra,
Thank you again for a "visit". It is second best only to being with you on Sunday mornings. I have felt lately that we believers are on a precipice of faith. Strange things seem to be happening. New challenges and lots of them. Beloved people and things we have set apart from God fearing what he chooses to do with them. As if we could set them apart. And so our hands begin to open, sometimes our fingers have to be pried. But, we don't run from his work, only pray his grace is sufficient.
Rambling words for a Saturday morning. But, He is doing a work and we strain our eyes to see what and how he chooses to glorify himself.
Our prayers continue to be lifted up and whispered during the days' events.
We love you and your family so much.
Mary C.
Mimi said…
what a precious video to cheer a grandpa's heart...you daughter is truly an angel for sharing it with us as well as you and Patra...
Anonymous said…
Oh my! I always new that you were a strong person of faith, but this has gone to a new level! We will never know this side of heaven what lives will be touched and changed for the better as a result of your writings! Keep the faith shining and witnessing to all those wonderful doctors and nurses at Moffitt and know that the Barnakys are never very far away. We love you and are honored to walk this journey with you and Patra.