"Checking In"

(Tuesday, February 23, 2010)

“Checking In”


Today is a big day. We check into the hospital at Moffitt this morning. I am ready. The edema (swelling) has become a problem. I am having a lot of difficulty walking the past couple of days and I am now about 25 pounds heavier than my normal weight. I look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Patra says it looks like my skin has been replaced by “memory foam.” Medically, they say Grade 4 pitting edema.
Today begins the active phase of my transplant. The goals are to destroy the cancer cells (watch out you “nasty little diseases”) and to prepare room in my bone marrow for the new cells to grow.
Today and tomorrow I will receive high dose chemotherapy.
Thank you so much for your prayers. Your prayers mean more than you can know.

Yesterday at my pre-admission physical, the doctor told me to get a good night sleep because the next couple of days will be taxing. I thought to myself, “that will be impossible.”

But…I slept pretty well last night. Peace that passes understanding.

The best part of the last twenty-four hours, however, was my quiet time this morning. Nothing mystical, mysterious, bizarre, weird or earth shattering took place. I didn’t receive any coded messages or secrets to unlock any doors. Let me share some words which came to my mind during and after my prayer time this morning. Calm, serene, confident, assured, peaceful, at rest, hopeful. How great is our God!

I’d like to share with you some words from the song, “My Life is in Your Hands.” It’s on my Ipod and I have been listening to it every day for weeks now. The entire song is terrific, but this portion will show you how meaningful it has been for me.

“My Life is in Your Hands”
Kathy Troccoli

Life can be so good
Life can be so hard
Never knowing what each day
Will bring to where you are
Sometimes I forget
And sometimes I can't see
That whatever comes my way
You'll be with me

My life is in your hands
My heart is in your keeping
I'm never without hope
Not when my future is with you

My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands

Nothing is for sure
Nothing is for keeps
All I know is that your love
Will live eternally
So I will find my way,
And I will find my peace
Knowing that you'll meet my every need

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra,
Our HEARTS, MINDS, and PRAYERS are there with you today.
We love you and know that you are trusting in the Lord with all your hearts, leaning not unto your own understanding, in all your ways you are trusting your Lord, and HE is directing your ways, thoughts and prayers.
We love you,
Lex and Linda
We look forward, Bob, to seeing you when we return in May.
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,
Lifted you up to our Father as I woke during the night and as I awakened this morning.
Carol Mathews
melody said…
Praying you will know the gospel like never before--God can raise the dead. Thanks for becoming our picture of that through these next few days (and months).

A fellow raised one, Melody
Anonymous said…
The hymn "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing" just came to my mind, from Ezekiel 34:26 (as that verse is written below the title in my hymnbook).
Yes, I,too, awoke early this morning and prayed for God to send His heavenly angels to watch over you all and the doctors and all involved. Then I asked the Lord to restore Bob Buggs' health so that He can return to teaching our Sunday School lessons, according to His will. Then I envisioned your being in front of that Sunday School room and teaching us again and tears came to my eyes. I thought of
Isaiah 40:31 and 26:3 --- and the Lord gave me peace and I was able to sleep a while longer...
Bob, the song you shared is comforting, too. Yes, "God's love will live eternally..."and I believe that by knowing Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are in eternity with Him already!
Praise Father, Son and Holy Spirit~~~ Praise the Holy Trinity!
In His love & prayers,
Ruthie Quarles
Sharon said…
Just wanted to let you know that you are in Avery's and my prayers today.
Lots of love,
Sharon
Anonymous said…
I, too, prayed for you today. That the chemo will accomplish its mission, that the drs and nurses be especially skilled, that your body would be comforted, that your mind and spirit be in tune with Him. see Jer. 29:11

Thanking the Lord that HE is the Great Physician,
Linda Hyde
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Thanks for the song, Bob. It means a lot to me, as well. I look at your picture everyday as I read your latest blog. I feel as if I am there.
I am, in spirit. "Those that are joined to the Lord are one spirit with Him."
Anonymous said…
Hi Bob and Patra - By a stroke of luck I found a business center in my hotel tonight so I got to catch up with you via the blog.

It was great to spend some time with you last Saturday. You are both an inspiration !

You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Stay well and keep the blogs coming. I'll be away from computers for the next 3 weeks, but will look forward to reading your blog when I can !

I will let my parents, my sister and Tom know about the blog. I know they will be uplifted when they read it.

Thanks to Emily for the instructions on how to comment and I love the photos ! I can still remember when my brother played baseball at Tropical Park. His first team was " Dabilu's." (Think that was a BBQ place in Miami ?? ) Guess I can remember it so well because my mom took movies of the opening day parade and game. Our next door neighbor, a father of two girls, came to the game because he had been so touched when he saw my brother strutting around the front yard in his new uniform. I guess some things never change !!!

Much love -

Denise Downing
This post made me cry. Not in sadness but in gratitude. And today I found myself praying for you as I ran on the treadmill. The one thing that amazed me was that my prayers were mostly about your testimony. Of course, I prayed for healing, your procedure, and even Patra. But I kept offering up thanksgiving over and over how your testimony has gone before you and that it is not in vain. That your season RIGHT NOW, your living testimony is influencing and changing hearts forever. Even yours. And God is glorified. I rejoice in the trustworthiness of God. Because only that kind of peace comes from a divine rest. And if I may be so bold, this nasty, evil disease has already been conquered. Because "Greater is He who is in me than He who is the world." Nothing of this world can defeat our Tower of Strength, the Horn of our Salvation, the King of Kings, the God of the Ages. Know your faith and words have done radical things for my recent, spiritually parched heart. And I am still praying.
Anonymous said…
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all during the next few days weeks and even months. Jon.Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bugg, I'm thinking and praying for you! You have been such an inspiration to my family and I. Thank you for loving the Lord and showing it like you do! What an inspiration! Many Blessings to you!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Tiffany Sasser Tipton
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful song and thank you for sharing it with us. I was thinking of the song "The Great Physician" and He truly is. I have my straw under my pillow like I did for Kenzie; (thought it was still appropriate) so as I wake I think & pray for you & Patra. Take good care of yourself; do what the doctors & nurses say! Can't wait for those good cells to come back into play! You are truly an inspiration to us all and your testimony speaks volumes!
God bless you & comfort you. Take care all!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra,

I found your blog through Kathy Trask via Facebook. I am so glad that she posted the link.

We will certainly keep you and your entire family in our prayers. I know that God has used all of you through the years and continues to do so at this time. He will never leave you nor foresake you.

In Christ Love,

Nikki DeCresie-DeLuca
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bugg, you are in my prayers. I am keeping up with what is going on via the calendar and blog entries. Your faith is evident through your perspective on the situation. What a godly man you are! I would love to meet you in person some day, perhaps at Emily's graduation. And I love your sense of humor ... "Danica Patra" ... very funny!