"Americana: Baseball, Hot Dogs, and Apple Pie"

(Monday, February 22, 2010)

"Americana: Baseball, Hot Dogs, and Apple Pie"


We discovered several weeks ago that Andrew’s opening day ceremonies for T-Ball were on Saturday, February 20, only three days before I go into the hospital.

Fortunately, Andrew has inherited his athletic prowess from his father, David, who has done a great job teaching him about baseball and developing in him a love for sports of all kinds.

This would be his first baseball team. I really wanted to be there. He and I share a little baseball history. I come home from work and Andrew and Patra will be in the front yard playing baseball. When I get out of the car, he says, “Grandpa, I will be the ‘batter,’ you be the ‘pitcher’ and Grandma be the ‘glover.’

“Do you want a fastball, curve or slider.” He always yells - “S W Y D E R!” Every time he says “swyder” my pitching arm strengthens – I could throw that plastic ball a thousand times to hear “swyder.”

Because the opening day ceremonies were so close to my hospitalization, I was probably the only person at the park who had received medical clearance to attend.

Andrew was well supported. In addition to Patra and me, his mother, father, sister, cousins, uncles and aunts were there to cheer him on.

It appears that Andrew’s favorite part of the game is his uniform. There is no rookie in any spring training stadium in Florida that will have more pride when he puts on his uniform. He also really liked the free hot dogs that the league provided – as did the rest of the family.

My medical staff is pretty smart. I bet they knew how much it would cheer my heart to be there.

Since getting my diagnosis, it has been my goal not to miss any lesson that God wants to teach me through this process. As I thought about the day, I imagined God smiling at me. Beautiful weather, baseball, my family – Yes, God smiled at me that day. And as I was thanking Him for smiling on me, I thought, “God, are you grinning? Did You just wink at me?” I am convinced that my gratitude for His blessing pleased Him.

Bob’s lesson from T-Ball: As important as the blessings of God are, the most important thing is our response to His blessings. His blessings are a gift to us – our response is a gift back to Him.

I pray that everyday during this journey I will think of His blessings to me and respond in a way that will give Him praise and glory. I don’t want these “nasty little diseases” to prevent either one of us from receiving the gift of the day.

Americana: Baseball, hot dogs… “Patra, I don’t know why, but I have this strong craving for a little apple pie… maybe heated up a little … and maybe just a little scoop of vanilla ice cream.” After all, it’s the little things in life that mean the most, including little league.



February 2010 123
David, Megan, and Andrew

February 2010 144
Andrew ready to play

February 2010 165
Grandpa and Andrew enjoying the "little things"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow~~~~How wonderful to hear such a heartfelt sharing of how God's blessings continue!
God is with us wherever we are!
" In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct our paths: just popped into my mind. Prov. 3:6" (As I checked to the exact Scripture, check out verse 5, too)... for such a time as this.
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie Q.
Anonymous said…
What a blessing to share your blessings with you. Bob, we find ourselves looking at your blog the last thing before we go to bed and the first thing when we get up to see what has happened since the last communication.
Thanks for the sharing. We must not let those little things slip by without noticing. Truely our Lord loves us so very much.
We continue to pray for you and Patra and all involved in this most unusual "journey" in which you are involved.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Great post! So glad you enjoyed a wonderful day - we are definitely praying diligently this week.
Luv,
Linda Hyde
Christine said…
Awww.. Andrew sure looked so proud and bet he was thrilled that you were able to be there on his important day. Good luck at hospital. Will be thinking of you!

Christine Taylor
Anonymous said…
I really loved reading about Andrew's day..It made me smile with tears in my eyes..love the way he poses..just like a pro ballplayer...when our first grandchild Hunter was born someone told me that "the reason we have kids is so we can enjoy grandkids one day"...so happy we share one grandaughter and you share your other grandkids with us...keep their smiles close to your heart...
will be thinking of you ..Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Hi, Bob!

There is nothing like a uniform on a young player to bring out the smile on lots of faces!

I know you as a man of grace and I pray for God's healing touch to give you complete recovery. I'll place you on my church's prayer chain in Atlanta where I am interning.

Love and blessings to you and your family -
Judy Keats
Anonymous said…
"Make me a blessing to someone today" That song came into my mind as I read your post. Yes, little things that are really big things - what blessings you have with your family. Your "family" you can tell that you & Patra did a wonderful job of raising your children; and in turn, the way the grandchildren are being raised. From generation to generation with the love of Jesus; what more could you ask for. And, yes, surely God was looking down and smiling & winking! (Hope you got your pie) Patra, Checkers has little apple pies - 2/$1.00!

Take care & yes, I look for the post daily as well; wanting to share your journey and you keep us uplifted for sure.

God bless
Ted & Carol