"Me and Michael Jackson"

Back on January 5, we went to Moffitt for a procedure to check and see if these nasty little diseases had invaded my digestive system. Below is the “report” I sent (pre-blog) on that day at Moffitt. And some of you probably wondered what I had in common with Michael Jackson.

"Me and Michael Jackson"

I thought I would give you a quick update on my visit to Moffitt – for an endoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy.
As those of you that know me understand, my first concern about any procedure involves the issue of sedation. I decided I would beat the nursing staff to the punch - “on a scale of 1-10, I would like my sedation to be a 20.” I will confess that my nurse really threw me a curve ball when she responded: “Mr. Bugg, you'll be glad to know you are going to have the same drug as Michael Jackson.” “PARDON ME. Are you talking about the Michael Jackson that recently DIED? FROM A DRUG? THE DRUG YOU PROPOSE INJECTING INTO ME?” I immediately checked to make sure she was wearing both of her latex gloves.
After being assured that there is a big (we're talking life and death big) difference between use and abuse of drugs, I decided to “just say Yes,” and proceeded rather quickly to “dreamland” (not to be confused with “Neverland.”)
I am happy to report that the procedures went well. There is one little concern – ever since I woke up, I have this strange desire to moonwalk. Now that would be a “thriller.”

Thank you for letting me share and thanks for the prayers. One of my new favorite verses is 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Writing these reports to you is therapeutic for me and helps me give thanks by trying to find something to smile about in the midst of the circumstances. Patra and I are encouraging each other to look back at the end of every day and laugh about something we learned or encountered. We understand the seriousness of the circumstances. We are around people that are undergoing incredibly difficult journeys. I would never want to say or write anything that minimizes the pain and struggles of those facing serious illnesses and diseases. We do not know where our journey will take us on any given day. We just want to be faithful wherever He leads, but at this point in our own journey, it is hard not to give thanks and not to smile at some of the people and circumstances we have encountered knowing that we can rest in the assurance that God is in control and He is always good.

God Bless!

Bob

Comments

Jenny said…
Made me laugh all over again. Thanks for posting.

Oh, and as far as this disease goes... we're all praying that you just "Beat It"!


Oh c'mon, that was funny!


Right?
LB said…
All I can say is, I hope that I inherited your wicked sense of humor! And can I also say that I have noticed that my dear cousins are posting everything for you. Last time I was home dad had me running from the other room every time he had to open an email, so the lack of computer skills DOES seem to run in the family! Love and hugs to everyone there!
michellenotdawn said…
Mr. Bugg, I'm a friend of Emily's from FSU.
My husband and I are praying for you, and we really enjoy your sense of humor!
God bless you and your moonwalking skills.

Michelle Clancy Rutherford
Anonymous said…
Hey Bobby ---- (I havent heard any body else call you that but I can't make a name switch at this stage in life!) I'm reading and praying and thinking of you all everyday. Your blog entries are such an inspiration and I you know we are cheering you on and on and on. I bet Michael Jackson never sang Purple People Eater!! (There's a laugh if yoou need one !!) ~~ Mary Lib
Sharon said…
I can't wait to see your moonwalk!! Jenny, that was funny!